Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ES350
    replied
    Re: Need more power...with pretty cleans.

Get an SVT, load a cab with EVM's---that should be pretty clean. And very expensive...ummm, maybe try using a mike in front of the amp sometime; works pretty good, I hear.

Leave a comment:

• ratherdashing
    replied

I'm with the other guys ... that JC-120 should give you ample clean headroom, unless the other guys in your band are playing F-16's Try turning your bass down.

Leave a comment:

• korovamilkdud
    replied

Well I need to try going from guitar to amp w/out pedals, but I never noticed a difference before.

But I have a thought, I was at Guitar Center today, apparently Syracuse opened one up in June. But it seemed to me that somehow, ALL the amps I played through had a similar deal. If I dug in hard enough I could get a slight distortion out of the Fenders I played too, even on lower volumes. Like 2.

So now I'm starting to wonder if I'm hearing anything out of the ordinary at all. I'll turn an amp up, but after 2, mostly it seems to be more bass, (almost as if the volume knob becomes a second bass knob) more sustain, not much new for attack volume.

But that Fender Super was hella loud. Used for about $800 too, not bad.

Leave a comment:

• Quencho092
    replied

i find it kinda useless to have a combo where the speakers are dead weight. You should replace them at least and use the marshall as an ext. cab.

Leave a comment:

• HamerPlyr
    replied

Could your pedal levels be elevating the signal to the point that the preamp is clipping before it ever gets to the power amp?

Does it behave the same way if you plug directly into the amp?

Leave a comment:

• korovamilkdud
    replied

Boss PS-3 -> Boss NS-2 -> Modified Jacques Tubeblower -> Modified Boss BF2 -> Morley Pro Volume -> Boss RV-3

Leave a comment:

• HamerPlyr
    replied

Wait- What pedals are you using and where are they in your signal chain?

Leave a comment:

• HamerPlyr
    replied

Try the low input and see how it works for you.

Leave a comment:

• korovamilkdud
    replied

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
    I'm surprised that a 120 watt SS amp won't provide you with enough clean headroom. In order for that to be true, you must be playing at a very high level. Which input do you plug into, and which channel are you playing through?
    High input, dry channel. But once you turn it up past 3, that's about all you get. More sustain after that, but no more attack volume.

Leave a comment:

• HamerPlyr
    replied

I'm surprised that a 120 watt SS amp won't provide you with enough clean headroom. In order for that to be true, you must be playing at a very high level. Which input do you plug into, and which channel are you playing through?

Leave a comment:

• korovamilkdud
    replied

Originally posted by Quencho092
    what does the clipping sound like? Is it a beehive, or is it flub and fart when you play harder?
    Closer to flub and fart. I'm really hoping it's the speakers, because I can just run it into my Marshall and be fine then. A 300w cab isn't gonna take any **** from a 120w amp.

Leave a comment:

• Quencho092
    replied

what does the clipping sound like? Is it a beehive, or is it flub and fart when you play harder?

Dang, im having to step outside the tube world to offer a quality amp for somebody.....difficult....try a tech21? Those are good, from what I hear.

Maybe you should go with a Polytone or something?

Or-load the Roland with two Weber Michigan speakers. Those things will never distort, and they have huge magnets for insane efficiency, modeled after electrovoice speakers that are discontinued. Unless there's something wrong with your jazz chorus, loading it with heavy duty speakers should solve the problem.

Leave a comment:

• marvar
    replied

You have a JC120 and it doesn't have enough clean headroom? I thought thats what those amps were all about- nothing but clean.

Leave a comment:

• ES350
    replied

...since you are already using solidstate, have you ever tried any of the old 80's Gibson Lab Series amps? The L5/L7/L9 combos are a good 120 watts + and pretty clean, nice tones with pedals. The bigger head is a L10---200 watts or so...pretty cheap when they come up on Fleabay. I picked up an L9 for 75 bucks (with an EVM 15L in it) at a pawn shop and did outdoor festivals with it, no problem.

Leave a comment:

• bungalowbill
    replied

Silverface Twin with jbl's. I know it's not solid state, but it is loud and clean. Maybe a Vox Tonelab through a 300 watt power amp.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X