No announcement yet.

Help me pick a relatively cheap amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a relatively cheap amp...

Alright I'm sick of me flextone being so muffled and dull ("wet-towl" syndrome is what people say). Well people keep telling me there is no real way to fix it without getting a new amp, so I'm going to try and find a better amp for cheap. I am 21 and have to pay for school full time, so I obviously don't have much money to spend at all. The most I can swing is $500. That's pretty much the max. I pretty much only am looking for so0mething with good distortion. Lots of metal (the typical metal bands).If I had the money I'd get a dual recitfier because it's the exact tone I want. Onviously I'm not going to find something for 500 that is as good as that. I'd like to find something loud enough to play with a band, but i realize that probably won't happen with anything less than a 2x12 combo. What would you guys recommend? I looked for a few minutes and saw these, just for starters......

Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

are those both tube, or are they "tube tone"? could those possibly be loud enough to play with drums/bass/2nd guitar?

also, this one looks like garbage but i thought i'd ask anyways

Re: Help me pick a relatively cheap amp...

i guess the xxx i posted is only on sale for a short time and is regularly about $950, so forget that because i wont have the money for atleast a few weeks.

is the peavey transtube series worth looking at?

Comment

Yeah both of those Peaveys are tube. If you had to choose one of those I'd go with the Triple X. Those things are sweet. I'm getting an Vox valvetronix which has some cool metal sounds. They arent really tube but through some miracle they get some very tube-ish tone.( I think they sold their soul to the devil lol ) I bought the 100 watt 2x12 version which I had a little test drive with. Plently loud for a band IMO. If you feel like shelling out the extra $50 then I'd say you should get that. If you really can only spend $500 then I'd go with the Triple X. couldnt go wrong with that I think. Good luck finding your amp
      G&L Tribute S500
      Fender MIM Stratocaster
      VFE Fiery Red Horse, DS-1, Digitech Bad Monkey, VFE Blueprint, DD-3
      Line6 POD X3L(for recording)
      Yamaha G100 212 ii
      Precision Electronics S100
      Bugera 2x12

Comment

My suggestion is to get a good Sovtek Mig-50 for roughly $300 - $350 off fleabay and then get a cab for $200 or so. The Sovtek is an awesome amp, but you gotta have a dirt pedal in front for metal. If you already have a semi-decent dirt pedal, you'll have killer tone that will keep up with any boutique amp out there for metal.

Oh yeah, sell the flextone to help finance the better gear...

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
          My suggestion is to get a good Sovtek Mig-50 for roughly $300 - $350 off fleabay and then get a cab for $200 or so. The Sovtek is an awesome amp, but you gotta have a dirt pedal in front for metal. If you already have a semi-decent dirt pedal, you'll have killer tone that will keep up with any boutique amp out there for metal.

Oh yeah, sell the flextone to help finance the better gear...
          Is the Sovtek a 6L6 amp with 12ax7's?
          Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
          -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
            Is the Sovtek a 6L6 amp with 12ax7's?
            They are marshally so I think they a el-34
            G&L Tribute S500
            Fender MIM Stratocaster
            Yamaha G100 212 ii
            Bugera 2x12

Comment

It's like a cross between a bassman and an old marshall. They are very good amps with excellent tube tone. I own one. With a decent cab and one good dirt pedal, you'll lay waste to amps costing several times as much. It's NOT a good sounding amp at lower volumes and it doesn't like strat pickups much, so expect to play loud.

edited to add - 6L6 power tubes on the Sovtek mig-50 and it's a non-master volume amp. EL-34 on the Mig 60 and I think it's a master volume amp.
              Last edited by Gr8Scott; 12-21-2005, 10:31 PM.

Comment

You might keep an eye on eBay for a Marshall JCM600--2 x EL34, dual reverb, plenty of beans....usually see them going for $4-500. Also, Laney has some good tube offerings which in my opinion are both under-appreciated and under-valued. I bought the LH50R (2 x 6L6) on eBay a couple of years ago for $175....I run it through a home-grown 2 x 12" cab w/ Emminence...plenty of bottom, plenty of scorch....rock on...

Comment

Originally posted by jammertom
                  You might keep an eye on eBay for a Marshall JCM600--2 x EL34, dual reverb, plenty of beans....usually see them going for $4-500. Also, Laney has some good tube offerings which in my opinion are both under-appreciated and under-valued. I bought the LH50R (2 x 6L6) on eBay a couple of years ago for $175....I run it through a home-grown 2 x 12" cab w/ Emminence...plenty of bottom, plenty of scorch....rock on...
                  Great first post! Welcome to the forum!...... Laney's have always been rather underestimated.... I would add to your list to include the older Laney AOR's, Red Bear's and some of the BV Crate's...(everyone may disagree, but they are not that bad!)

Jeff Seal
                  ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
                  www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Seal
                    Great first post! Welcome to the forum!...... Laney's have always been rather underestimated.... I would add to your list to include the older Laney AOR's, Red Bear's and some of the BV Crate's...(everyone may disagree, but they are not that bad!)

Jeff Seal
                    Red Bear? that's new one for me. BV Crate, would that be the V30?
                    Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                    -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
                      Red Bear? that's new one for me. BV Crate, would that be the V30?
                      Red Bear MK120....show up every now and again...
                      or the MK60..

Crate BV = Blue Voodoo

another one would be the original Peavey Ultra 120.....relatively unknown

Jeff Seal
                      ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
                      www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

sweet suggestion. Thanks Jeff!
                        -Conrad Hilton

Comment

bump

Comment

I second the peavey ultra if you can find one. Those are really neat amps.
                            G&L Tribute S500
                            Fender MIM Stratocaster
                            Yamaha G100 212 ii
                            Bugera 2x12

Comment

Our other guitarist just got his valveking 2x12 and he loves it so far, 100 watts is plenty loud, but i assume you will get the 1x12. Only bad thing ive heard from them is the short delay in channel switching. I say its your best bet.. dont go solid state unless its one of those vox amps. I was in GC over the weekend and played the 2x12 and it did sound VERY nice, especially against other modeling amps like it. The XXX would do every thing you need by itself.
                              Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
                              Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
                              Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
                              Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
                              Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

Working...
                              X