Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Riff, 41 Amps!

Hello everyone!

Here's something a little crazy I worked on for a while. The concept is simple: I wrote a 'riff' specifically for this concept. It's basically a collage of riffy bits and some lead bits so that you can hopefully get a good idea of how these amps all sound with a modern high gain rock tone. Since I'm doing this with 41 amps I also wanted to write the riff so that it doesn't get boring too fast so there aren't any repeating passages really. I used a guitar that's rather 'normal', it's my ESP LTD-Elite (MIJ) Eclipse I with Seymour Duncans so nothing too out of the ordinary.

So this is amped through my entire amp collection which consists of amps from various brands like Mesa Boogie, Peavey, Marshall, Orange, ENGL etc. Also some lesser known brands. No, there are no Fender or Vox amps because I prefer other types of amps (just saying that because sometimes people get a little mad because of that). Last time I got a lot of 'Why no Friedmans?' so at least I have one of those now haha! This is my own personal collection so I can't have 'all the amps'. This is what I have to offer though. I'm also going to release an isolated guitars only version very soon so stay tuned for that if you want to hear all the amps isolated without drums and bass.

For more information I wrote a little FAQ/Editor's notes in the comment section. For now I just hope you guys enjoy this! Let me know if you have any questions! I think there is a lot to talk about! So many great amps:

Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Very well done - I listened to some, but I'll listen to more.

So the Friedman and the JCM800 do it for me so far.

I have Ownhammer IRs and they're great.

Shame you did all this work and it's nothing but crickets here so far... but that's pretty much the way this board goes.

We need more dudes like you with contributions like this.

Comment

God, I wish I had the patience (today) to listen trough it all.

Thanks alot for making the video, I promise I will listen trough it- another day .

Rock on!

-Erl ♪
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Nice video. If I had an hour at one solid time to listen to the whole thing I would.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Incredible - after a week, only 3 responses here.

Over on the other forum, there were lots of responses.

This was a well-done video about tone with a lot of work put into it, but practically zero appreciation or interest here.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
            Incredible - after a week, only 3 responses here.

Over on the other forum, there were lots of responses.

This was a well-done video about tone with a lot of work put into it, but practically zero appreciation or interest here.
            The other forum is far busier than this one. Also, most of the "talkers" are online 24/7 in Off Topic spreading the disease. It's not that I don't appreciate it, I just rarely have an hour to sit through a video and listen.
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I watch Jon's stuff on youtube instead, or at least the vids that grab my interest. He does great work!

Last edited by dave74; 05-21-2021, 11:48 PM.

Comment

It's difficult to add a meaningful comment. Sure it's a lot of work, and it is appreciated. But what should someone comment, other than really well done. Nice controlled experiment.

It's difficult to comment because this video experiment is best just for distinguishing the delta from one amp to another, but not for evaluating what each amp actually sounds like - largely because the sound is through an IR and not the actual cabs and speakers typical for each model amp, and it only uses one guitar with "Seymour Duncans" (but what SDs? The stock JB/59? Or...?). What settings/pickups were used on the guitar? Also, the settings on each amp are unknown, but that makes a huge difference in understanding what we are hearing. It also doesn't exercise the range of each amp by having at least a couple common guitars run through it, e.g. LP type, Strat type, etc. The order is too random also. Since the main benefit is distinguishing the difference from one amp to another, it might have been more helpful to have all the Orange Terrors one after another, all the Marshalls in order, etc. All that can be gained really is "this amp is brighter than that amp, that amp is crunchier and that other amp is fuzzier." Which is interesting and a perfectly fine experiment. It's just limited. There isn't much more to comment.

It is impressive someone owns 41 amp heads. Either independently wealthy, or spent their adult life collecting with all their paychecks. Bravo and respect for that.

Comment

On one of Ola's recent amp/cab comparisons he was commenting (and demoing) how alike his Roadster and old Marshall sounded when both were ran through the Mesa cab. Big Cabs Matter

Comment

Bump for the latest comparison of a few classic beast amps. Personally I like the last part from 23:00 on where they all go through the same cab sim. Great sound on this Jon!

It's always a compromise no matter how one sets up a comparison. You can set things as equal as possible, or you can set things up to their own strengths, but of course the latter is a matter of taste and never comes close to tapping the potential realms the amps can travel to with their various setting and mode changes, not to mention once you start applying boost pedals and/or active pickup/preamps to the front.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                      Bump for the latest comparison of a few classic beast amps. Personally I like the last part from 23:00 on where they all go through the same cab sim. Great sound on this Jon!

It's always a compromise no matter how one sets up a comparison. You can set things as equal as possible, or you can set things up to their own strengths, but of course the latter is a matter of taste and never comes close to tapping the potential realms the amps can travel to with their various setting and mode changes, not to mention once you start applying boost pedals and/or active pickup/preamps to the front.

Great vid -still suffers the one thing I would prefer -not labeling them and revealing the amps at the end so people can listen and compare in blind test.

I like all of them in some regard -especially the Marshall, Mesa and ENGL -and was particularly drawn to the ENGLs suprisingly.

I liked the Peavey, Orange and Randall the least -but still good.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                      X