$500 MDF Marshall Cab.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $500 MDF Marshall Cab.

We have seen these before from likes of Behringer, and probably some of the other import brands. Never owned an MDF cab. Does it add sinificantly to the weight? This is a 70 pound cab.

It has 60Watt Celestions, are those the Rockit speakers?

Does the Marshall name on the front give it some resale value?

Peavey used to be able to build Birch Plywood cabs in the USA for $500 or less, as recent as ten years ago. But those had Peavey speakers and they said "Peavey" on the front.

Used cab prices have gone up again, so this might be a buy.

Is there anything magical about plywood, or is MDF a legit wood to use?

mdf and a birch ply cab sound different. better is a matter of taste, if you are playing 60s rock and roll you might prefer a good ply cab, if you are playing heavy detuned math metal you might prefer the mdf. mdf is a bit heavier weight wise. any marshall branded cab will probably have more resale value than a no name cab of similar construction. no idea what those speakers sound like

Comment

MDF isn't really wood. It's sawdust mixed with glue and then hardened into a form. MDF has had a bad rep as some of the glues used to make it release carcinogens like formaldehyde, if it gets wet it will swell and warp irreparably, and it tends to strip easily where screws are used to attach things to it. I'd expect plywood to last a lot better. Sound is a matter of taste, but I prefer plywood cabs in that area myself.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Those are budget speakers in the same line as the Rocket 50 and the 70/80. I'd avoid the cab for that reason alone.

Comment

waste of $

Comment

Notice the MDFs don't have casters on them, seemingly to discourage moving them. ;-)

If it's just the sound that is needed, a cheap way to get proper traditional Marshall sound is get an old Randall ply cab and put Celestion greenbacks or V30s (depending on the era you want)

Otherwise spring for a ply cab Marshall, whatever they go for now. I bought one for $500 in 1994, sold it, then years later had to buy the same cab again for something like $600-$750. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's worth buying it again or better to absorb the cost of storing it to always have it.

Comment

My best-sounding cab is my MDF Marshall MX212. Keep in mind I have 2 Eminence Wheelhouse speakers in it. So the speakers cost as much as the cab. As Jeremy said, there is not a better sound but a different sound but not bad or inferior by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

Thing is, you'd get it and shortly down the road want to get different speakers for it.
                $400 + a set of quality speakers is going to put it close to the same price as just going all-out on a pro cab to begin with.

My suggestion is stalking local craigslist and facebook for a good deal on a 1960 or even mesa cab.
                Another even better suggestion is a new avatar 212 loaded with your choice of speakers.

Last edited by dave74; 06-23-2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

MDF is a legit material for speaker cabs. Tons of hi-fi speakers are made from it as it's cheap and dense so it tends to not color the sound. Problem is it is not as durable as plywood like Stv mentions. If it's going to sit around and not get moved much, no worries. Out and about and in/out of gigs etc...best be extra careful.

Comment

If you already have good speakers sitting around then the MDF cab itself isn't a big deal.
                    But how many MDF cabs actually come with good speakers?

Comment

I think 70/80's get a bad rep from people that don't break them in and don't dial in the amp right. I think that they do have a flatter response than most like. Mix them with a mid heavy speaker and they sound fantastic.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                        Thing is, you'd get it and shortly down the road want to get different speakers for it.
                        $400 + a set of quality speakers is going to put it close to the same price as just going all-out on a pro cab to begin with.

My suggestion is stalking local craigslist and facebook for a good deal on a 1960 or even mesa cab.
                        Another even better suggestion is a new avatar 212 loaded with your choice of speakers.

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guitar/g212-signature/
                        I have an Avatar 212 I picked up 10 years ago when I needed an 8 ohm cab; most of my cabs are 16 ohm. It is built like a tank! As noted, Avatar can load their cabs with a lot of different speakers. They also used to sell unloaded cabs if needed. It is also the one amp/cab I own that is not from my preferred brand.
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I've got vintage Marshall 1960a and Marshall 1960TV plywood, and reissue 1960a plywood and modern MDF Marshall cab in my studio right now.

The MDF cab doesn't sound bad but it has a more hollow/scooped thing going which is largely offset if you don't prefer with some mid boost and dialing back the highs.

It's not a whats better scenario -it's a preference for what sounds you are trying to make IMO

If the MDF cab has crap speakers, then all bets are off of course
                          Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-24-2021, 09:32 PM.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Having not bought a cab in a long time...are there specific types of plywood that are better than others?
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Baltic Birch ply is supposedly the holy grail..

I have a Bugera 4x12 (MDF...& on wheels btw) that's been up and down to plenty of gigs with me & still looks almost new. Yeah, it's heavy, yeah it's been wet a lot (that's what the tolex is for ) Sounds great too. I prefer it to the 1960 Marshall gt12T 75 loaded cab that's in the backline at our main venue..

Also have a cheap Laney MDF 4x12 cab that sounded OK with the stock HH drivers (a little bass shy) but sounds awesome with a quad of these in it (just over $100 for the quad)

https://www.newark.com/pulse/pm12s/1...tts/dp/84Y8082

Great sounding speakers that won't make you miss your Celestions for a fraction of the price
                              Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 06-25-2021, 01:15 AM. Reason: Laney - Not Randall...
                              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X