banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laney IRT 2x12 Speaker replacement ($80 got me some pretty sweet tone :D)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney IRT 2x12 Speaker replacement ($80 got me some pretty sweet tone :D)

Pulse PM12S's. I have these in my Laney 4x12 already. Just picked up another pair for my Laney IRT 2x12. I got along ok with the stock HH driver's that were in there before, but these are definitely way nicer...on par with a good Celestion or Eminence for a fraction of the price

They're pretty big solid speakers with a good bit of weight & look really well made. The Magnets about the same size as a V30 I'd say.

Here it is compared to the HH side by side:

Quick recording with my Laboga The Beast 30 Plus & a condenser mic.. (low volume-no post prod).

Still have'nt broken them in but they sound great anyway..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

I have had similar luck with the EHX speakers
    voiced well and inexpensive

Gotta check out Pulse

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have an IRT60 head. I've often wondered what the HH speakers sound like, they don't import many cabs to the usa. I read they were tuned to work with the head.

I suspect they sound like 75 watt celestions, scooped.

Comment

They're (Laney HH speaker's) a bit prominent in the highs. Basically you need to dial them in with your ears, not your eyes. They can sound pretty cool with the highs dialed right back. The mids are pretty upfront as well, not scooped at all. Bass lacks some richness, though it's tight and punchy. With some unconventional amp settings they can give nice tones. Having said that, I do prefer these Pulse speakers by a mile. They're more straightforward to dial in & really sound classy/awesome in the room. Like I said, you won't miss your Celestion's at all.

Here's another basic-as-it-gets clip with my Laboga & new Kramer..80's/shred style. I just have a cheap Aliexpress condenser mic draped over the top (straight into my interface) ...no post production of any sort.

Pulse PM12S

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 07-10-2021, 06:52 AM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          I have had similar luck with the EHX speakers
          voiced well and inexpensive

Gotta check out Pulse
          Never tried the EHX's , but these wont disappoint.

Youtube

Comment

Oh yeah, & they have an inverted dust cap...like a lot of newer speakers.

Youtube

Comment

After a bit of experimenting...

V2...

Moved the mic about an inch to the left so it was almost dead centre. Cranked the treble (and master volume) a bit and turned down the bass a hair for some ear-bleeding 80's METAL shred tone.. I think throw a limiter on that and it's ready to go straight into any mix.

This was the Purple Kramer vs the blue one last time...it was feeling left out
              Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 07-12-2021, 02:22 AM.

Youtube

Comment

and one last go... V3

Pretty much the same as V2 but I turned the treble down for a bit of warmth & played around a bit with the delay/verb from my Zoom G1 Four in the loop. Anyway's, I'm no recording guru...and I don't really have the talent/interest/patience or gear for it. So this is probably as good as it's going to get..

Bottom line ..great sounding speakers that don't break the bank.

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 07-17-2021, 05:51 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Ha...I'm bored so another last go ..this is three of my shredder's through the Laboga/Pulse IRT 2x12 (same set up/clip as above....except this vid has the amp's low mid-switch "on" vs. "off " in the clip above for a bit of tonal variety ). Pup-wise it's A4 hand-wound vs. EMG 81 active vs. cheap & awesome (Kramer no-name A5)

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 07-21-2021, 02:33 AM.

Youtube

Comment

I applaud your enthusiasm
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Don't be fooled, it's a constant struggle in the name of guitar science (& the quest for tone..)

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                      X