I feel like I understand T-75s now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
    Highly unlikely. It *might* have been the most recorded in a narrow period of the '80s, although even then, most studios preferred Greenbacks. The Mesa OS 4x12 cabs have been the most commonly recorded cab for about 30 years now in rock and metal, and those are loaded with V30s.
    Yea I think the reputation of the T75 as "the 80s speaker" is unearned, I think they probably were more heavily recorded in the 90s, to be honest, lots of guys were mixing different heads to Marshall cabs that sounded "T75ish" in the grunge days.

Comment

The thing I hate about T-75's (and K-100's and CL-80's) is the large dustcap. I never know where to point the mic with those things. Where the dustcap meets the cone is way too far off center, and it usually translates into a very distant sound.

Comment

As a sound guy ( for a living ), I don't rely on sight so much as my ears. While using the dust cap as a reference is typical, it still comes down to pointing the mic at something, listening, and then adjusting based on what the assessment is. I can't say that I am usually very happy with my first placement, but depending on the amount of time I have and the level of the band I am working with, I either accept what I have, or I go and move the mic. Often times I can get what I need on the second go. I will say that pointing at the edge of the dust cap is not usually where I end up. I try and listen to the guitarist play before I set the mic. If they are pretty bright sounding, I know I need to plan on going into the cone a little more. If they are rather dark sounding, I know I need to stick pretty close to directly on-axis of the center of the speaker. If I don't get that luxury, I split the difference by shooting at the edge of the dust cap, a quick listen to the mic will tell me what I need to do next.

In my experience it doesn't matter what speaker the mic is in front of, you can get something. The hard part is dropping the perceived idea of what you think it should be. A great guitar tone doesn't always start with a great raw sound, it starts by having a guitar tone that suits the music and sets in the mix nicely. Sounding good subjectively after that is just icing on the cake.

For me, I don't care for speakers that have " A SOUND ", I prefer speakers that sound balanced and neutral, or have a characteristic that I enjoy. The G12M is woody, and has a bark to it, but is balanced enough to not be overwhelming in any one frequency spectrum. The T-75 is just a balanced speaker with what I guess would be underwhelming characteristics that don't make it appealing to modern guitarists? I like that about it. It is honest and can be made to sound pretty much any way you need it to. I have heard many say that micing it is difficult, I don't understand why? It just requires you to drop your pre-conceived ideas and think blank slate.

Comment

Working...
        X