Combo speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo speaker?

Hello everyone. I have a DSL 40CR that I use with an extension 2x12 cabinet. The combo internal speaker is just unplugged, but the wires going to the actual speaker are still intact. I was thinking about removing the speaker completely from the amp if that is possible without blowing anything up It would certainly be lighter to carry, but unsure if that would cause any electrical issues.

Since I don't plan to use the internal it would be great to get rid of it. I could even go one step further and make the DSL a head. But, that will come later if at all.

Thanks

You can certainly pull the speaker without affecting the amp, as long as you always have another speaker combination of the correct ohmage connected to the amp output.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      You can certainly pull the speaker without affecting the amp, as long as you always have another speaker combination of the correct ohmage connected to the amp output.

Great to hear! I use a 2x12 Orange cab plugged in the 16ohm jack.

Thank you

Comment

Never run a tube amp without a load.

Comment

Cut it down to just a head

It will be much lighter

The trouble with doing this is that heads amd combos sound different

In a combo
          the tubes hang under the circuit board and heat rises

In a head
          The tubes are on top of the circuit board and heat still rises
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If possible, just find a DSL head on the used market and then sell the combo.

Cutting a combo down to a head places it in a weird mutant format when somebody else could have used it just the way it was.
            Last edited by Animal; 08-14-2021, 06:30 AM.

Comment

yeah, i wouldnt cut it down. if you wanna pull the speaker to save a few pounds, go ahead, but if you really want a head then sell the combo and buy one

Comment

Working...
              X