banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DSL 100 into EVH 4X12 16ohm and Friedman 2x12 8ohm possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL 100 into EVH 4X12 16ohm and Friedman 2x12 8ohm possible?

I know how to use the two 8ohm jacks for double 16ohm inputs, but is there any way I can run the 16ohm and 8ohm simultaneously?

you can but the cabs wont get equal power, id use the two 4 ohm jacks like you would with two 8ohm cabs

Comment

Like Jeremy said, you can use the 4 ohm out, it will be close enough (5.3 ohms for those keeping score) but the 8 ohm cab will get twice as much power as the 16 ohm cab.

Comment

The 8ohm cab goes into the 4ohm output, this is 1/2 load for the output transformer. The 16ohm cab goes into one of the 8ohm outputs, another 1/2 load. Gives you the right impedance match. This is how I'm running my DSL40CR with the internal speaker into the 8ohm output and the external 2x12 8ohm cab into the 4ohm output. It's well documented on marshallforum.
        Hi I just wanted to quickly check my connections here before I hook up. Marshall TSL100 head, I have two 2x12 extension cabinets to make a nice portable half-stack. They are a: Marshall 1936v with two 16 ohm vintage 30s. I can use it as 8 ohms mono Marshall TSL212C cabinet designed for the...

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
          The 8ohm cab goes into the 4ohm output, this is 1/2 load for the output transformer. The 16ohm cab goes into one of the 8ohm outputs, another 1/2 load. Gives you the right impedance match. This is how I'm running my DSL40CR with the internal speaker into the 8ohm output and the external 2x12 8ohm cab into the 4ohm output. It's well documented on marshallforum.
          https://www.marshallforum.com/thread...edance.101563/
          That's also how it's suggested in all my Mesa manuals; 4ohm output to 8ohm cab,,,,,,and 8ohm output to 16ohm cab.
          Running as such you can expect a slightly darker tone and softer attack than you would get running an evenly matched setup. (if all the settings were exactly the same both ways)

Comment

Mesa's take mismatches because Mesa spec's their transformers for that.
            Marshalls DO NOT.
            For best results always correctly match impedances.

Comment

Yes, the manual for my Mesa states that the amp isn't harmed at all by mismatched impedance.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Yes, the manual for my Mesa states that the amp isn't harmed at all by mismatched impedance.
                ...not exactly a DSL 100
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

...not exactly a DSL 100
                  No, but interesting that some amps can do that, and others can really cause damage.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
                    https://www.marshallforum.com/thread...edance.101563/
                    You need to read the rest of the thread, supposedly that only works on the JVM (and I have questions about how they are using multiple taps off the transformer). Running both cabs in parallel off the 4 ohm tap will be fine, the power will just be unevenly distributed, 5.3 is close enough to 4.

Mincer Mesas are fine with mismatched impedances, but that is different than using multiple taps off the output transformer. Some Fender heads just had High, Medium, and Low instead of actual impedances on the speaker out settings.

Comment

Hmmm so looks like I got some homework to do, appreciate the input. Thankfully my DSL is perfectly fine so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X