banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't my crappy little practice amp take distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't my crappy little practice amp take distortion?

Years ago I bought a Squier SP-10 at a garage sale for $6. Thing is, it actually sounds really good clean: full and sparkly. Great for jazz (which I do not play) and for rockabilly if you throw a delay in front of it.
    BUT...as soon as I put any distortion or overdrive pedal into this thing it sounds horrible: boxy and small and mushy. Doesn't matter if the pedal is set way below unity, at unity, or pushing the amp. The 6" speaker that sounds so big clean suddenly sounds tiny and feeble. This is with several different pedals. It just falls apart.
    This is not a major life problem or anything, I am just curious about how an amp can sound good clean (for a $6 practice amp) and just utterly fail with any decent gain pedal?

Try using less distortion. Turn the gain on the pedal all the way down. Now inch it up. Most guitarist use too much distortion. That can sound very small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My solid state amps do not behave the same as the tube amps

Hitting the front of a tube amp with higher gain drives the tubes to distort

No tubes in solid state so you get a lot of compression

What David said dial it back or hit it with a fuzz
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Trust me, I've played with the gain knobs on the pedals, and I am not a "too much gain" kind of guy! And I'm not running out of headroom. Trying to drive the input just produces a weird static-like distortion.
        I realize it's a cheap little pos, and I don't expect it to sound like a half stack, but it's just weird how it sounds so big & clear clean but suddenly sounds like we cardboard as soon as any dirt is introduced.
        I've never taken it apart to look at the speaker, LPB, but you may be on to something there. That would explain why the clean sound is so sparkly and deep for a 6" speaker. It is certainly strident in the high end.
        it just seems like it should be pretty good with some dirt and it isn't. At all. Not even a little.
        Maybe I'll saw it down to a lunchbox head and use it with my 2x12 cab...
        Last edited by Dave Locher; 09-01-2021, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I think those are generally the limitations of cheap little practice amps. I have a tiny Danelectro amp that sounds decent clean, but if you add distortion, it sounds like bees in an AM radio.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Crappy little practice amps have crappy little practice speakers.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

6" speaker, and a cheap one at that.

Comment

What kind of pedals are you running through it? Tiny, and feeble could come from hitting a slightly mid scooped speaker/amp combo with a mid scooped distortion (something like boss DS-1 or a big muff).

The guitar is a mid range instrument. It's also possible that the speaker just isn't very effective at reproducing the frequencies that we like to hear guitar at. Some people really like a mid-scooped clean sound, but hit that with gain and all of a sudden you really hear and focus on the cutting highs and woofy lows - without the creamy meat of the mid-range.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's the speaker.

There are a few videos of people hooking up the small SS Fender/Squier amps to 4x12's and the onboard distortion suddenly sounds pretty awesome
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Most definitely the speaker. I used to have a Marshall Lead 12 combo that I took and hooked up to a 4x12. It sounded massive and plenty loud to use at band rehearsal. It was a temporary situation.

Comment

Well, sounds like everyone but me is smart enough to figure out it's the terrible little speaker. Bees is an AM radio is a pretty accurate description.
                      Time to rip into this thing (it's a sealed box) and try it with real speakers just out of curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                        Well, sounds like everyone but me is smart enough to figure out it's the terrible little speaker. Bees is an AM radio is a pretty accurate description.
                        Time to rip into this thing (it's a sealed box) and try it with real speakers just out of curiosity.
                        Let us know what you find
                        may just need to re-house it in either a head or bigger box
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                          My solid state amps do not behave the same as the tube amps

Hitting the front of a tube amp with higher gain drives the tubes to distort

No tubes in solid state so you get a lot of compression

What David said dial it back or hit it with a fuzz
                          My JC120 with a Peavey Rockmaster in front sounded absolutely brutal.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I have a little Peavey Micro Bass that takes to distortion great and fuzz even better. 20w solid state 1x8

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              it sounds like bees in an AM radio.
                              ...and what is wrong with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X