Peavey Invective 120w Head w/ Invective 2x12 Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Invective 120w Head w/ Invective 2x12 Cab

Just thought I would put this up for anyone who may be interested in the Peavey Invective 120w amp head. I bought one about 6 months ago, and I can't believe it hasn't gotten anymore play than it has on the forums, YouTube, etc. I know there was an issue with availability for a couple years, but they have become more available now and I'm hoping at some point I can either start up or join a community where info and tips and the like can be shared.

This is the best amp I have ever played through hands down, and I have played through ALOT of amps and owned a s%#$-ton of them myself. This is the first amp I've ever owned that I know I will never end up trading or selling, never. As of now its underrated AF. It's got a larger price tag than the Peaveys of the past that most are familiar with, but it's LIGHTYEARS beyond any of those amps and WORLDS better. And when you consider that you get more out of the Invective 120 than out of most any other amp $2,000 and above, the $1,800 really is FAR from a high price, and its worth every penny.
    "As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun PLAYING MY GUITAR than in any other enterprise. It IS really the life of KINGS...."

I think a few things hurt the amp. The price tag, the availability and roll out of the amp was terrible and the fact that Misha is involved with it. Nobody takes him serious as he is the biggest gear shill and endorsement seeker/jumper next to George Lynch in his heyday. There are a lot of other amps that deliver in its price range which doesn't help it. Where is it made? Who is it made by? The answer to those two questions along with the fact it doesn't say 5150 on it says everything.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

If anyone wants to try this amp Chicago Music Exchange has a new condition but "used" 120h for just over $1200 (after you apply the Labor Day weekend discount, and I tried it and confirmed the discount-code works on this amp). For all the features this thing has that $1200 isn't a bad price at all. Look at that footswitch!

Summary:Head/Combo/Cabinet: HeadsAmp Electronics: Tube AmpWattage Range: 100-199 WattsPower Tubes: 6L6 / 5881Tube Details: 4 x 6L6, 6 x 12AX7Amplifier Condition: Head is in good shape with signs of wear and tear from regular use.

I'm out though, already have all I can get around to playing regularly enough to stay spry.
      Of any Peavey (never owned a Peavey tube amp) I would probably choose the 6534+.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
        Nobody takes him serious as he is the biggest gear shill and endorsement seeker/jumper next to George Lynch in his heyday.
        Periphery's been around for what, like 10 years? He's been with Jackson and Bare Knuckle for well over half that. I don't know of any amp endorsement aside from the Peavey.

I remember a billion years ago when he was posting as bulb on the forums, he'd go through all sorts of awesome gear, like a really fancy PRS or Blackmachine, but that's kind of the same thing quite a few of us do. Dude's obviously an entrepreneur, Get Good Drums, Horizon Devices, etc... but I don't think endorsement whore is accurate.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

Periphery's been around for what, like 10 years? He's been with Jackson and Bare Knuckle for well over half that. I don't know of any amp endorsement aside from the Peavey.

I remember a billion years ago when he was posting as bulb on the forums, he'd go through all sorts of awesome gear, like a really fancy PRS or Blackmachine, but that's kind of the same thing quite a few of us do. Dude's obviously an entrepreneur, Get Good Drums, Horizon Devices, etc... but I don't think endorsement whore is accurate.
          You are forgetting a few companies and scenarios but no worries.
          Last edited by Bogner; 09-04-2021, 07:38 PM.
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

You are forgetting a few companies and scenarios but no worries.
            I probably am. Just think Mischa’s a little different from the guys who slap their name on anything.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

that amp does seem to have a lot going for it!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                that amp does seem to have a lot going for it!
                It DOES have a lot going for it indeed. Its amazing. The footswitch allows you to control everything switchable, and it allows you to create presets. You can find a sound you like, and 8 more, and then instantly switch back and fourth between them. This is all without buying the 1st pedal. With the noise gate, overdrives, and master volume, its essentially 3 pedals included with the amplifier, and each one of them work and sound great. There is a switch to take the power section down to 60watts by killing two of the 6L6GCs in the power section, which is pretty sweet when you want to get a cranked/saturated tone without pissing the neighbors off. This is only scratching the surface. While I do realize there are many amps out there in the $2000 and below price range, I would strongly disagree that many, if any, are able to hold a candle to the Invective, and the fact that it was made in China does nothing to change that whatsoever. These days, with so many companies outsourcing their manufacturing to countries like China, Taiwan, Vietnam, and Indonesia (and the list goes on), there aren't even many amps coming out of USA, England, and the like any more, at least not amps that are less than $2000 brand new. And while I certainly won't say that Diezel, Engl, Mesa, or any other high-end botique or botique-ish amps are "bad" amps, what I will say is that unless I strike it filthy rich some day, I will never pay $3000 or $4000 for an amplifier. Those amps are just plain out of reach for the vast majority of guitarists out there, and thats just the truth of it unfortunately. Most every major amp brand is manufacturing their products in some other country these days, but that doesn't mean that they aren't still putting out quality equipment that absolutely can be relied upon. I would bet that most of the individuals who talk so poorly of these new foriegn-built amps, have quite a few bits of gear that are from those same countries, and very likely even own one of the amps too. If I'm honest, I'm of the opinion that the majority of people who make comments of this type probably don't even own a tube amp or any truly nice gear at all and just don't like to see somebody having fun with the very things they idolize themselves, but haven't managed to obtain. Though if you were to ask, surely they own 2 Bogners, 3 Mesas, and have 4 Diezels that are their main rigs n they just use the others when they need a little something different. And every guitar they play is a Gibson custom shop or a Kiesel (but no signiature stuff because they don't buy gear endorsed by people who can't play better than they do themselves) or some sort of botique job or other. In a perfect world, we would all have this kind of gear, but owning that type of stuff is just not a reality for most guitarists out there. I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in it and a Fender Player series strat with SDs. The Les Paul took me YEARS to obtain and its literally my favorite thing I own, and I appreciate the hell out of it. Coming out of pocket for those types of things isn't easy when you are a married Plumber with 3 kids, a house, and 2 cars to pay for, who gigs on weekends and jams with his friends and on his own every chance he gets. The fact that something is built in one place or another is not the deciding factor for a guy like me, nor is some guy's name. I get out there and try stuff for myself before I knock it or say its great, and I can say 100% that this amp is the real f'n deal based on EXPERIENCE. So again, for those in the back who didn't hear to well.... This post is for anyone who IS INTERESTED in the Peavey Invective 120. If you would like to know more about it, or if you own and/or play through one yourself, either way I'd love to hear from you and talk all things Invective! And if its not your cup of tea, by all means, go create a thread all about how much you dislike it, or, just continue putting your comments below and moving forward, the rest of us will carry on as if you aren't here and talk about a great amp and getting the most out of it!
                "As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun PLAYING MY GUITAR than in any other enterprise. It IS really the life of KINGS...."

Comment

Working...
                X