Greenback tone on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenback tone on a budget?

Wondering what's out there that will help me get close to what I want.

I recently replaced the four speakers in my Marshall cab with newer UK G12M Greenbacks.

I decided to make this move because I dropped a Chinese-made Vox-branded Celestion Greenback in my Orange PPC112, and I really dug how it got along with my EVH LBX.

I still have my Vypyr which I really like, but it's not quite there. Granted, it's a cheapie amp, and I don't want to spend a lot upgrading it, but I do think it is worth upgrading. Especially since I've been using it a lot to jam with a friend because it has the built-in aux input so that we can jam along to tracks.

So what's out there that will get me close to the classic Greenback tone without spending a lot?

Vyper is a modeling amp and the blue marvel is designed to work with the models to produce the sound you select

Changing the speaker may have an unexpected effect
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I've already tried the Greenback that is now in my Orange cab in my Vypyr, and it worked out fine. I'm sure there's nothing special about that Blue Marvel speaker, especially since they use it in other non-modeling combos as well.

Comment

The Blue Marvel label actually covers many different speakers that Peavey utilizes.

Over the years, quite a few Vypyr owners raved about how theirs sounded after installing a switching jack and plugging a closed back cabinet in. Plenty have also replaced the stock Blue Marvel and been happy with the results.

​​​​​​If you run a search on the Peavey Forum you will find which speakers others have used. There might be some good recommendations there.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I mean, in principle a modeling amp should have a "neutral" voiced speaker to work at it's most versatile and likely best... I would think a GreenBack voice speaker may reduce the functionality of a modeling amp.

but hey, no rules...
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            I've already tried the Greenback that is now in my Orange cab in my Vypyr, and it worked out fine. I'm sure there's nothing special about that Blue Marvel speaker, especially since they use it in other non-modeling combos as well.
            Did you test it playing backing tracks with the Greenback in it? Since you like to use the amp to play backing tracks on while jamming along to I wouldn't take out the FRFR speaker. It may sound fine with the guitar playing on its own but the backing tracks will loose a lot of feudality and not sound to great anymore. I would test it out again with backing tracks before making the plunge Just something to keep in mind.

Comment

Pretty sure the Blue Marvel is not an FRFR speaker.

This is an older Vypyr, not one of the new ones with bass amp models and whatnot. Pretty sure the emulation is limited to preamp and whatnot, not the actual cab part.

Comment

Pretty sure the Blue Marvel is not an FRFR speaker.

This is an older Vypyr, not one of the new ones with bass amp models and whatnot. Pretty sure the emulation is limited to preamp and whatnot, not the actual cab part.
                If it has an aux jack in to hookup a phone or whatever to play backing tracks, CD's or whatever through to jam along to it's got to be a fairly flat response speaker to sound decent. Otherwise the feature would just sound like **** and be pretty worthless. I never played a Vipyer so maybe it does sound like **** playing backing tracks already. I know my little Mustang 1 sounds way better after ditching the FRFR speaker for a real guitar speaker but backing tracks sound like total **** now. I have a hi-fi rack system I can play backing tracks on so no loss for me in that part.

Comment

I've used the mp3 input of the Vyper a lot for lessons, and it sounds fine. It might not be an especially flat speaker like some of the high end speakers out there, but it sounds fine at home volumes playing MP3s from a computer.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Mustang doesn't have an FRFR speaker either.

The Vypyr doesn't sound particularly good playing backing tracks either, but I assume that's just a matter of using a guitar amp to play music through. I don't need my backing tracks to sound good so much as having the actual guitar sound be great. I just need to hear the backing tracks while having the guitar sound killer.

I think you are overstating the status of the half-assed speakers they put in cheap modeling combos, LOL. Even the speakers in the some Mustangs and Spiders are just Celestion Seventy 80's or T100's, which are far from FRFR speakers... or good speakers at all, for that matter.

Comment

The Mustang doesn't have an FRFR speaker either.

The Vypyr doesn't sound particularly good playing backing tracks either, but I assume that's just a matter of using a guitar amp to play music through. I don't need my backing tracks to sound good so much as having the actual guitar sound be great. I just need to hear the backing tracks while having the guitar sound killer.

I think you are overstating the status of the half-assed speakers they put in cheap modeling combos, LOL. Even the speakers in the some Mustangs and Spiders are just Celestion Seventy 80's or T100's, which are far from FRFR speakers... or good speakers at all, for that matter.
                      If you already know everything then why the hell are you asking people around here for advice? You already know what you want so just get it. Since you're so smart you should already know all the basic cheaper offerings since you've been around here so long. A cheaper clone will only be a variant anyways and not the actual Greenback you've already tried and liked. All I know is the quality of actual music played through a small Mustang 1 went to complete crap with a real guitar speaker stuck in it. They played nice and clear before that, definitely reflecting that it at least is a full range speaker in the Mustang 1. FR and FRFR speakers come in all quality's, they aren't all high end lol and some can have a little more or less range than the other..

I was just giving you a fair warning that if you like using the amp for backing tracks that you may be less than satisfied with an actual guitar speaker, take it or leave it. You have a cab with Greenbacks just try it and see how your specific situation is. Just remember Greenbacks have an early breakup so try it at the volumes you like to practice at and not super low volume before the backing tracks might fall apart. So testing just only one in your amp will be a better representation of what to expect than plugging into a 4x12 full of them since you'll be pushing the one much harder than a quad of them. My stereo I play my backing tracks on **** all over any of the combo modeling amps so I'm not worried about it. I would rather the little practice amp sound its best for guitar and guitar only. BTW Greenbacks are my favorite speakers and all I use outside of my little Mustang 1 and I wouldn't use it for a speaker in a modeler that I plan on using for backing tracks as well. YMMV Anyways I'm not chiming in anymore. Have a good day and good luck.
                      Last edited by Mr. 80's; 09-12-2021, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Don't get mad, dude. I don't know everything, that's why I'm asking. I'm just stating that the vast majority of modeling combos these days don't come with FRFR speakers. There are some exceptions, but in most budget amps, companies just puts whatever's cheap and sorta works. I don't mean to say your Mustang is a bad amp or anything either. But thanks for the advice.

Comment

Try a new speaker
                          if you don't like it
                          Swap back

Swapping speakers is easy
                          But its expensive to roll thru a bunch
                          Last edited by ehdwuld; 09-12-2021, 05:55 PM.
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                          X