banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gets along with a V30 in a small, closed back cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gets along with a V30 in a small, closed back cab?

Hello all.

It's speaker time. I'm currently working on a small, closed back Marshall cab that currently has a V30 and a EV 12L loaded into it. I love the tones I get, but it is a LOUD, somewhat beamy cabinet as it sits. I'm looking for something that isn't so efficient as a 12 that still compliments the V30 and has about the same power handling capacity, as I do occasionally use a 100w head with this cab.

Thanks a bunch!
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

t75 would be the most obvious, but I assume you've already vetoed it.(?)

Comment

Just guessing but maybe a Creamback?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
        t75 would be the most obvious, but I assume you've already vetoed it.(?)
        I know very little about speakers. I know I like thr Mod series Jenses I tossed in a Microcube, the V30, the 12L, and the GK-100 in my California Blonde. Outside of that, I'm ignorant.

The T75 compliments the V30 well?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

I know very little about speakers. I know I like thr Mod series Jenses I tossed in a Microcube, the V30, the 12L, and the GK-100 in my California Blonde. Outside of that, I'm ignorant.

The T75 compliments the V30 well?
          Yes and they are fairly cheap new or used. Avatar speakers usually have good deals on the standard Celestion models.
          I really like the k100/v30 combo too. The k100 will actually match the v30 better in volume and attack, while the t75 will help relax the upfront attack of the v30 and serve to balance it more instead of matching it as much.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Yes and they are fairly cheap new or used. Avatar speakers usually have good deals on the standard Celestion models.
            I really like the k100/v30 combo too. The k100 will actually match the v30 better in volume and attack, while the t75 will help relax the upfront attack of the v30 and serve to balance it more instead of matching it as much.
            Nice. I may give the K100 a shot before the T75, tbh. I like a little more sparkle and definition than most.

Comment

Another V30
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                Another V30
                I thought we didn't use matched speakers 'round here.

Comment

a similar clone perhaps

WGS veteran 30
                  one of the Eminence clones
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Nice. I may give the K100 a shot before the T75, tbh. I like a little more sparkle and definition than most.
                    Good call, as long as both speakers are the same ohms of course. I don't see the k100 in 16ohms very often, and most stores don't stock them.
                    Diezel cabs use them in 16 as well as some Laboga cabs. I'll give another shout-out to Avatar Speakers for stocking them in both versions.

The thing I like most about the k/v combo is that the k lends a stiffness or percussive nature that really sits well with the softer more syrupy nature of the v.

Comment

V30s mix well with other speakers, but will sound great when doubled up in a closed back cab too.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I just recorded a group that had V30s and 90 Watt Black Shadows and it was damn glorious. 2 different closed back cabs though
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

MC-90
                          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Wgs et65 or anybody else's version of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X