Controversy! I'm going to say something nice about a Crate amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversy! I'm going to say something nice about a Crate amp

Friend brought over 90s Crate Club 50 today -which is an Ampeg designed amp I'm sure based on pretty much everything about it
    -it might be the world heaviest combo amp lol (not really -but damn -no wheels -sadists!)
    -it has 2 channels, Reverb, medium rock gain with 3 x10 Crate labeled speakers (Looks like they are rebadged Eminence OEM speakers)
    -it's got a lot of Marshall/British flavor and a hell of a mid range punchy tone -and some really deep low bass.

2 downsides
    • -it lacks mid lows -it's sort of scooped in the spot 400hz to 800hz spot (due to the 10s arrangement and cabinet tuning I guess ) so it doesn't have any buttery mid lows, but does have bottom end that kicks in somewhere below 300 hz again. a little not standard if you ask me -usually guitar scoops are more in the mid mids.
    • also the treble is a bit harsh -but it's Marshall voiced so you back that treble down and you are all good.

anyways, these amps are 200-400 all day online. -It's quite a cool cheap amp for that price.
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 09-08-2021, 08:26 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

I remember back in the 80's Crate was what we figured that we could afford and we saved for them. Peavey was the next step up. Nobody that I knew could afford a Marshall, even the combos.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      I remember back in the 80's Crate was what we figured that we could afford and we saved for them. Peavey was the next step up. Nobody that I knew could afford a Marshall, even the combos.

Yeah, me too -Crate were the go to teenage garage amp if you bought new, if you bought used it was usually Peavey.

Nobody I knew bought a Marshall until post high school.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I had a Crate GT80 DSP back in the day that had genuine Telefunken tubes in the pre section (the tubes I still have, amp long gone). It sounded pretty good, even better when I used my Randall RG80 Celestion cab as an extension cab.

Comment

I played a few Crate amps over the years that weren't as terrible as their stigma might have suggested. Most of these were SS combos. Their tube heads and combos weren't anything I ever liked, and generally deserved the reputation.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love the old US Crates.

Hell, I carry around a Powerblock in a bag as a back up.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
              I love the old US Crates.

Hell, I carry around a Powerblock in a bag as a back up.
              This is a good point. Circle of Amp life is completed

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I played a few Crate amps over the years that weren't as terrible as their stigma might have suggested. Most of these were SS combos. Their tube heads and combos weren't anything I ever liked, and generally deserved the reputation.
                I think their negative stigma goes all the way back to their original conception of being an amp built out in wooden crates - I mean -how would they escape this rep?

Crates played a valuable place in most everyones lives -they were the feature rich affordable amp a kid could buy new back in the 80s and 90s -they were important -even the lesser ones.

Comment

Comment

^^^^^^^ My father-in-law has that exact Crate amp pictured above! In the early 2000's I bought a Crate Blue Voodoo 120. I picked it over the Marshall Valvestate that was offered at the same price. Two reasons, the BV 120 sounded better, and the BV was ALL Tube! The BV 120 got me through many years of playing and recording before I sold it. I DO NOT miss it though. My first Crate amp was a GT-212 combo amp. Loud as hell, sounded like ass, and showed me that tubes were king. I was happy when that thing left my life. In later years I played through several of the club series Crate models. They actually were pretty impressive. All tube, and sounded pretty darn good for the price. Still would not be caught dead with one though. They just weren't as reliable and they had a " sound " to them.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Yeah, me too -Crate were the go to teenage garage amp if you bought new, if you bought used it was usually Peavey.

When I was in my senior year of HS I bought a late 60's 100 watt Fender Bassman with the Fender 2x15 cab so my buddy could play bass through it. I was running an 80 watt Ross 1x12 combo at the time.
                      I think that I paid a hundred bucks for it.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Exactly. The year after high school I upgraded from a Peavey classic-chorus 212 to the first Marshall valve-state head and a 1960a cab.

Comment

I had a 2x8 crate with celestion speakers I sold recently. It had true spring reverb and chorus, it was actually decent sounding amp and quite loud too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m in the same boat as every else here. My first amp was a G10 (G12?) combo amp that was horrible. But I didn’t know any better so….
                            Then I got the G212 which was better but I still remember the speakers farting out from the low end.
                            And lastly I bought a 100 or maybe 120w half stack. That I thought was pretty cool at the time.
                            I don’t miss any of those amps. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
                              ^^^^^^^ My father-in-law has that exact Crate amp pictured above! In the early 2000's I bought a Crate Blue Voodoo 120. I picked it over the Marshall Valvestate that was offered at the same price. Two reasons, the BV 120 sounded better, and the BV was ALL Tube! The BV 120 got me through many years of playing and recording before I sold it. I DO NOT miss it though. My first Crate amp was a GT-212 combo amp. Loud as hell, sounded like ass, and showed me that tubes were king. I was happy when that thing left my life. In later years I played through several of the club series Crate models. They actually were pretty impressive. All tube, and sounded pretty darn good for the price. Still would not be caught dead with one though. They just weren't as reliable and they had a " sound " to them.
                              In general, I believe Blue Voodoo is considered their best amp, and it was designed by the Ampeg design team (the parent company SLM had Ampeg team design the tube amps)

Comment

Working...
                              X