banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to properly use the MSDI out on my amp??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to properly use the MSDI out on my amp??

I have a Peavey Invective 120 head and matching 2x12 cab. I have recently gotten into home recording using my audio interface with Bias FX2 in Reaper, but since I got this amp I have using it as well and I am trying to figure out the proper or best way to do so. The amp has an MSDI out on the back for connecting to an audio interface. It has 'Level' and 'Tone' controls for the MSDI output as well. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to use this to record silently, as I have tried but thus far have not been successful. It would seem the level and tone controls would be there for this exact purpose, but so far I have not been able to get a signal through my audio interface without the Master Volume and Post Gain controls on the front of the amp being used. The MSDI out utilizes its own sort of IR or cab simulation that is basically SUPPOSED to allow you to use the MSDI to an audio interface and sound like whatever cab you are actually connected to mic'd up with a SM-57. In other words, it is supposed to simulate the sound of whatever cab/speaker the amp is connected to mic'd up with an SM-57. But if they go through all the trouble of doing this, why do they make it to where you still have to crank the volume on the amp in order to record with it? I was under the impression these types of outputs were designed so that they could be used for recording purposes along with studio monitors or headphones rather than actually cranking up the amp and mic'ing it in a traditional 'live' type of scenario. I have a Marshall that has a 1/4 inch out which can be utilized by simply powering the amp on but leaving it in standby, which essentially provides the ability to do exactly what I am talking about. But with my Invective, if I have done it properly and I remember right, the MSDI will not produce a signal to send to the A.I. unless the amp is powered on and taken off standby to the on position AND the master volume must be on to some minimal extent. That being said, I am also wondering if when used for recording VIA the MSDI, must the amp be cranked in order to produce a good tone the same as if I were just playing through the amp and cab live?

I know this may all sound very ignorant, and I surely sound brand new. That is because I am. I feel like I must be doing something wrong and/or missing something. If anyone has experience with this amp, or some rig that may be similar, I would really appreciate your help on this one as I love the tones I get with this amp and I would really love to be able to capture it when I am recording, and more over, I would really like it if I could figure out how to do so without the need for it to be "at volume" and running through the cab. It would seem to me the MSDI output is alot of trouble Peavey went through for nothing, and more or less redundant if one is not able to utilize it in a scenario such as the one I've described, right? I mean, if the amp has to be on, and has to be cranked up, then you might as well just go on and buy an SM-57 and mic the damn thing up and capture the actual tone of the creamback and V-30 loaded 2x12 cab rather than using an MSDI simulation. It's a bell and whistle designed to provide greater ease of use, compatibility, and convenience, so I don't know why it is such a difficult thing for me to wrap my head around, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all replies with suggestions and tips.
    "As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun PLAYING MY GUITAR than in any other enterprise. It IS really the life of KINGS...."
Working...
X