Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: whats so good about point to point handwired

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Mesa hasn't used PTP in alot of years....Not sure about that particular amp,but are you certain it is PTP wired? In other words,does it use a tag board or is it PCB?
    it's nomad 100 head used, im not quite sure old it is the person at, the guy at the store told me it was ptp. shopped there for a long time and am taking the guy's word for it. again i love the amp and will buy it if it's not ptp.
    Originally posted by kilphody
    There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
      Regardless of the effect on tone, it's more cost effective to hand wire circuits when building in small batches.
      Exactly....Hence the boutique builders aspects on building an amp....Most of these guys were bit by the whole PTP mystique and they wouldn't dare build an amp any other way....Until they get so huge that PTP isn't as cost effective to churn out large amounts of amps....

But is the tone effected? That's the thing?
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

There are no tonal differences, copper is copper, flat or round....some mighty fine hi-fi amps uses pcb...and they do not sound remotely weak or inferiour, actually almost nobody hardwires their amps in that buisness

Comment

Originally posted by cream123
          it's nomad 100 head used, im not quite sure old it is the person a the store told me it was ptp. shopped there for a long time and taking the guy's word for it. again i love the amp and will buy it if it's not ptp.
          Mesa has only used PCB boards with pots mounted off the boards for alot of years....Don't believe what alot of the store guys tell you...Ask Mesa about the amp before buying it..
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

thank you all for helping me with my stupid question
            thats all folks
            Originally posted by kilphody
            There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
              There are no tonal differences, copper is copper, flat or round....some mighty fine hi-fi amps uses pcb...and they do not sound remotely weak or inferiour, actually almost nobody hardwires their amps in that buisness
              Bingo......Exactly and I can back up what I'm saying because I've worked on,tweaked,and played through both....I can use a Marshall as a clear reference...The same year and model Marshall at that...1973 split year PTP and then PCB...

Comment

thank you all for helping me with my stupid question
                thats all folks
                We're just getting started actually! Waiting on alot of others to chime in unless you delete your post?...

Comment

There are no stupid questions here!

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                    There are no stupid questions here!
                    I have strong opinions based on some prior experiences,but I don't really want it to beome a heated debate....Everyone has their own opinions also..

Comment

what is so good about point to point handwiring, what makes it better than just popping in a microchip. don't make fun of me for this stupid question, ive played mesas and they sound great! just pondering this stupid question about point to point wiring
                      Repair and mods. The rest is hype to me.

Comment

No worries, what I was meaning that no questions are stupid, how can we learn without trying and asking?

So there are no stupid questions.

Comment

Originally posted by drpietrzak
                          Repair and mods. The rest is hype to me.
                          Everytime I have to pull all the pots on a JCM 800 to lift that stupid pcb up and unsrew the pcb on a Marshall,I swear at them.....

The PTP amps look so awesome and what a pleasure to mod and repair....For sure the PTP amp is king of that...

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                            No worries, what I was meaning that no questions are stupid, how can we learn without trying and asking?

So there are no stupid questions.
                            Rodger that buddy!

Comment

Plus ptp can get really messy and is great fun to unravel...if ones mood can handle it

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                                Plus ptp can get really messy and is great fun to unravel...if ones mood can handle it
                                My first look inside of an old Hiwatt was nothing short of amazing for me though....Almost orgasmic!

Comment

Working...
                                X