No announcement yet.

Separate amps for clean and dirty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way too much to haul around with what is out there today. It's simply not practical. In a studio, sure. Live, not so much.

The EVH 5150 III has excellent cleans and we all know how the dirty channels are. Get the 50 watt lunchbox version and a 2x12. Compact and simple with plenty of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

That must have sounded amazing when it was up and running!
      oh, it did. it was a no compromise rig. the clean sound i wanted and the dirty sound i wanted but **** me, hauling that around was taxing and it was so damn loud when dialed where i wanted it.

Comment

Someone had to have tried wiring both circuits into a single amp.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Someone had to have tried wiring both circuits into a single amp.
          That's probably how those modular Randall amps came to be (in the 90's?). You could have one Fender like module and another Marshall like. Pretty ingenious idea really.

Comment

I know Mesa had done something similar, but their 'Fender' sounds always have a touch too many mids. I have their Blue Angel, which is sort of a 'Deluxe-a-like', but it has a lot more mids than my Deluxe.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I feel like speakers probably matter more than amp. You might be able to jam 4 EL34s and 4 6L6s into some sort of monster head (at least you could use the same output transformer for both circuits, although I feel like the heat coming off all those tubes would be pretty significant) . . . but without the right speakers I don't think it would sound as expected.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

That's probably how those modular Randall amps came to be (in the 90's?). You could have one Fender like module and another Marshall like. Pretty ingenious idea really.
                That is what the Fender M80 does well. You can go from Fender clean to a modded Marshallesque tone.

Comment

Okay…I’ll be prepared for the flaming shortly, but have you ever tried a Peavey classic 50? If memory serves the JSX was inspired because around that time Satriani was using a classic 50 head in the studio for his cleans.

I think it has a great clean tone, and a very good overdrive. It’s a tad buzzy on its own when trying to get an 80’s style lead tone, but with a basic compression and distortion pedal (add eq if you like) and it really does add a good lead sound to an already nice overdrive.

Comment

I suppose an ABY pedal with a Roland JC-120 for cleans and a Randall Satan for dirty would be cool. Then have a Metalzone in the loop of the Roland for when you want to run both together for a ridiculously crushing lead tone.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe a Synergy 30w Combo?

Comment

My favorite band for doing this was Shiner. -A band by most measures should have been one of the biggest bands of the 90s.

He ran 2x12 Twin for cleans on top of a 4x12 dirty fulltime

You get the idea here:

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
                          Okay…I’ll be prepared for the flaming shortly, but have you ever tried a Peavey classic 50? If memory serves the JSX was inspired because around that time Satriani was using a classic 50 head in the studio for his cleans.

I think it has a great clean tone, and a very good overdrive. It’s a tad buzzy on its own when trying to get an 80’s style lead tone, but with a basic compression and distortion pedal (add eq if you like) and it really does add a good lead sound to an already nice overdrive.
                          This is what I love about my JSX. Clean and Ultra channels of my Triple XXX. Crunch channel of my Classic 50 Lead channel. It just weighs a bit on the heavy side.
                          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Don't know what Boogie is doing these days but I had a Lonestar Special years ago. Two channels 5/15/30 watt option for each. I ran clean at 15 and dirty at 5 most of the time. Great bar/club amp.

Comment

This is why God invented pedals and modelers.

In the real amp world though if you're talking about practice or studio type amps, there's definitely some good options. I have a Spark and a Crate GTD120 that both have great cleans and can be dialed in for various flavors of high gain and shredability and chunktasticness. You could just go try amps and see what you like. If you're talking about tubes or live use, I don't know. Maybe a nice clean amp with a HX Stomp in the loop.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                              X