External cab usage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External cab usage question

I have someone telling me that If I use a extension cab hooked to a 15 watt amp, The ext cabinet will not be much louder than the original 15 watt amp?

All figures are SS ones.. Solid state. Thanks

btw I do not believe him... Just help me out in explaining(i could be wrong)

thanks alot guys..

SD forums are great.

Re: External cab usage question

Originally posted by jony
    I have someone telling me that If I use a extension cab hooked to a 15 watt amp, The ext cabinet will not be much louder than the original 15 watt amp?

All figures are SS ones.. Solid state. Thanks

btw I do not believe him... Just help me out in explaining(i could be wrong)

thanks alot guys..

SD forums are great.
    If the extension cab has more speakers or the speaker(s) are more efficient,you will gain more volume overall....Also providing you keep the speaker impedences correct..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

more speakers will spread your sound out more making it richer and because of the spread louder in some cases/rooms/settings
      Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
      Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
      Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
      Epiphone LP Special w/JB
      Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
      Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
      1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
      Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

I have an Avatar 4x12 tha I used to run a Squier Champ 15 practice amp into. I would say that the overall tone improves because the stock speaker in that little p.o.s. sucked, but the 4x12 also moved more air and seemed to "fill the room" better. Overall, it might seem a bit louder and will push more air.

Rock on!
        Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
        Peavey Valve King 1x12
        Ibanez PF15CE Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Yeah, a more efficient 12" speaker and more of them will make it louder than a single inefficient 8" speaker. My Crate GX-15 sounds like a monster and is pretty dang loud when hooked up to my 4x12.

Comment

I have 2 experiences on this....

One is my Classic 30 combo..... it is an open back cab, my matching Peavey ext cab is a sealed back cab with a 75 watt speaker in it.... when i add that ext cab the sealed back adds some serious bass and the extra speaker adds some volume for sure....

2nd experience was back in 1989 i sold off my guitars and amps and was left with a little Roland practice amp with 2 6inch speakers...... I thought i'd sell everything and buy better but i ended up spending the money and waited 2 years until i could get a real amp again! Anyways in a crawl space i had a 4x10 Bass cabnet that was sitting there for years doing nothing.... I unhooked the Rolands speakers and soldered and new wire with 1/4 plug on the end and plugged into the cab...... holy smokes!!!!!! after an hour of blasting the **** out of it i turned around to find the guy from next door had gotten tired of banging on the door and just walked in to tell me to turn it down! Dam that was loud!

But i have had someone tell me that if the small amp does not have enough power to push the speakers effectively then you could damage the gear

Comment

WhoFan- I wish I had a speaker cab I didn't use just sitting around. Haha Tell that guy you'll shoot him if he walks into your house again.

Anyway, I highly doubt running a small amp into a cab would damage the equipment, especially if the ohms are matching. On the contrary, I would think it would be better for the amp to run into a larger cab with more speakers as it doesn't drive the combo speaker as hard. If less power than the speakers in the cab can handle is running through the cab, I would imagine none of the equipment would be harmed. Just my thoughts, though.

Peace.
              Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
              Peavey Valve King 1x12
              Ibanez PF15CE Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Working...
              X