Speaker (Ohms) question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker (Ohms) question

I am playing thru an 80's Carvin XV-212 amp (An amazing sounding amp!). It has 2-8 ohm Carvin speakers which are to be plugged into the amp and set at 4 ohms according to Carvin. I also run the amp into a Dual Showman 2-15 cab with 2-8 ohm speakers. When running the combo alone my clean volume is set at 1-3/4, with just the 2-15 cab it is 2-1/2 or more just to get the same response. When running both combo and cab together the combo's speakers overwhelm the 2-15 cab. My question is how would you recommened wiring both so I get a balanced sound if possible and let the amp see 4 ohms. Thanks!
    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Re: Speaker (Ohms) question

you can wire the 2 12s in series and the 2 15s in series and wire the 2 pairs in parallel.
    or
    wire 1 of the 12s and 1 of the 15s in series , do this with the other half(the other 12 & 15) , and wire them in parallel.
    2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

so you're getting 2 ohms right now... let me think a bit

Theoretically speaking, both the cab and the combo should be getting the same amount of power, as the current cannot 'choose the path of least resistance'. But, if you'd like to level out the sound, all you really need to do is find a way to get the combo's impedence to be greater than the cab, so that the amp will 'deliver more power' to the cab.

Wiring the two internal combo speakers in series will yield 16 ohms (series-you add the impedences- 8+8=16 ohms) You should keep the cab wired in parallel so it stays at 4 ohms. Now, you connect them both into the amp in parallel (ext. speaker and speaker jacks are wired in parallel anyway so no sweat here)

In parallel, 1/R = 1/R1 +1/R2, so 1/16 + 4/16= 5/16. R=3.2 ohms, which is very close to the 4 ohm spec of the amp compared to the 2 ohms that you were getting with both the cab and combo combined. This will make the amp focus more on the 2x15 speakers, and IMO, is safer than running it at 2 ohms.
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
        so you're getting 2 ohms right now... let me think a bit

Theoretically speaking, both the cab and the combo should be getting the same amount of power, as the current cannot 'choose the path of least resistance'. But, if you'd like to level out the sound, all you really need to do is find a way to get the combo's impedence to be greater than the cab, so that the amp will 'deliver more power' to the cab.

Wiring the two internal combo speakers in series will yield 16 ohms (series-you add the impedences- 8+8=16 ohms) You should keep the cab wired in parallel so it stays at 4 ohms. Now, you connect them both into the amp in parallel (ext. speaker and speaker jacks are wired in parallel anyway so no sweat here)

In parallel, 1/R = 1/R1 +1/R2, so 1/16 + 4/16= 5/16. R=3.2 ohms, which is very close to the 4 ohm spec of the amp compared to the 2 ohms that you were getting with both the cab and combo combined. This will make the amp focus more on the 2x15 speakers, and IMO, is safer than running it at 2 ohms.

Perfect. I was going to recommend the exact same thing
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
        X