Thinking of what to replace amp with when time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of what to replace amp with when time

I have a bugera v22 and it is ok but the reverb is garbage and the drive channel is just ok and it's an older model and i was thinking as it seems like getting towards time to replace power tubes that tubes are getting limited and expensive.

I was also lamenting my lack of anything to connect guitar to headphones. I have a Linux laptop and didn't really wanna go software amplification.

Was thinking of maybe getting a boss gt-1 and using it with headphones or active bookshelf speakers for a while.
    Or maybe a terror stamp but the cab sim on that one seems limiting.

I dunno lately I care less about tone and more about wether I can play well or not... And much of my practice time is after hours when I'm sure my family would prefer me be silent. Is this a good time to switch to modeling?

Was thinking of even maybe going for headrush mx5 but they are little more money. I don't have a lot to spend. And the boss demos ive heard sound like... Very BOSS pedaly but I'm a good way.

Does anyone have experience with those? I was thinking multi fx would be a step up from a headphone bug type thing at least. Otherwise the mustang micro even seems like a useable option.

Anyways what do you guys think and what kinda ampless practice rig would you get if you had limited funds and wanted a range of tones from all genres

The Boss consistently gets good reviews. You may also consider the Katana series to use with headphones, too. And you have a regular amp when no one is home.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You have a lot of options available. I also wouldn't totally rule out a computer rig in your case. STL Tones (and others) have a nice free try out phase and some great sounding products to test and see if it could work for you. They also have a monthly subscription option for very little money per month. You could always demo something like that for free and if you like it then try it for 30 days and all you are out of the cost of a burger and fries.

Not sure what you want to spend if you bought another amp or tangible product but if care to share I would be happy to throw out some solid suggestions for you. The options available can be daunting and you want to buy right and buy once in this rabbit hole.

Good luck!
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

When I first started playing guitar again 15 years ago, I got a Roland Microcube. You can plug headphones into it and play silently.
        And after all these years, the thing still sounds good. And it will run on 6 AA batteries. I used to take mine to the beach.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Was hoping to keep it in the $200 range but zzounds will give me payments on things so like... Sometimes I stretch the budget and pay over time when things like blems or returns deals pop up.

The micro cube I've heard a lot of demos though and while useable seems a little too bright on a lot of demos. The boss gt-1 has some of that COSM attack sharpness that sounds to me kinda fake vs tube amps but still sounds pleasing regardless.

Comment

Well, the Microcube only has a 6 1/2" speaker, so yeah, it's a bit bright. But you can run it through a PA and turn the tone on the amp down and it sounds just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Well, the Microcube only has a 6 1/2" speaker, so yeah, it's a bit bright. But you can run it through a PA and turn the tone on the amp down and it sounds just fine.
              Ooh cool I'll look into those more thank you!
              edit: not bad but every video I have watched so far on these they seem to never mention using line out and everyone throws a mic on it.

Also
              Software alone is a tough route for me to go as I no longer have Windows and it's kinda a project to install stuff and get it working on my laptop.

And, I still haven't come across a boss katana to play in person but I've thought about that road before And I'll be honest the Katana Artist looks like the cool one to own and sounds the best in demos. The 100 sounds pretty cool to me but the 50 sounds like there's something about the cab or speaker or something that makes it sound kinda raspy to me

​​​​
              Last edited by FuseG4; 03-19-2022, 12:40 AM.

Comment

I also thought that some of the Zoom and Nux multi effects sounded good for gain and kinda sounded like maybe not the best but when people brought their own IRs with the Nux mg300 it was not bad, it does let you load ir somehow.
                Also did not like what I heard from the pod Go
                Lol

​​​​The orange terror stamp has less versatility but I've always liked the orange sound and I still have a few dirt pedals
                I do like how a tube and dirty boost work together. and so eventually maybe a separate cab sim box and some modulation effects down the road would round that out

I could always still use the bugera as a speaker cab for a while even if the amp fails, it has a 12" eminence reignmaker which is decent.

Comment

If you can still use your amp as a speaker cab, look at the Joyo Bantamp heads, the Bantamps are small clones of bigger amps, Mesa Dual Rec, Marshall JCM 800, Orange Jim Root model and a bunch more, all can be had for less than $200, think the most expensive is $189.
                  1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                  Jackson Soloist 7 string
                  ESP LTD M-400
                  Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    The Boss consistently gets good reviews.
                    Their roots are with Roland they have been making great amps since the 70's

Comment

The joyo have some hit or miss tones in there depending on the model but the meteor actually definitely reminds me of Orange in as good way and in a much different way then the... Slightly more modern terror tone?
                      the zombie seems to sound ok
                      Thought the vivo was a little like hot garbage but ymmv

Comment

Boss Waza Air is the best thing I’ve ever bought for practicing. I have young kids so most of the time I practice I need to be quiet now. It sounds so much more natural than any other headphone solution, it connects fast and easily every time, and here’s the weird thing…. Programming new sounds is a bit of a pain so I loaded my favorite 6 and just make do. Instead of tweaking the OD level or the chorus depth I just play. It’s fantastic.

I’m thinking about the Katana Air next for practice without headphones.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I had thought about the waza Air For the stereo projection and such.

I would have to use my Android phone to make presets, I feel like you can use a phone to do that with that right?

Demos do make it sound good. Maybe not ultra realistic but good

But a multi fx while lacking the amp in room feel can be easier to program and sometimes half the price so as you can tell I'm still considering options!

Comment

For ampless practice (heck, even gigging), I would either recommend the Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. M+ or Neural DSP. For the Torpedo, you'll probably need your pedals as it only has a clean amp sim (with multiple tube modelling options, but it is aimed as a clean pedal platform an has a crapton of cabs, you can download more either free or for peanuts), but for example the SLO100 suite from Neural is a complete package, I love it.

Comment

Have you considered the Positive Grid Spark?
                              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Working...
                              X