Crate Blue Voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Blue Voodoo

Anyone own or ever owned a Crate Blue Voodoo?

I remember these amps were kind of popular in the 90s with many metal bands. I used to have the 4×12 cab that I found in a pawnshop. I think I paid $200. I don't remember what speakers it had, but I remember not really liking it that much and traded it for a Marshall AVT cab. Sold the Marshall shortly after for a Line 6 cab... I never did try the matching Blue Voodoo 120 watt head. Maybe someday.

Beats a Bugera IMO but not a JCM 800 Marshall.
    Blue doo doo's aren't that rare.

Comment

I had a BV120 head. Biggest POS I ever owned. The damn thing blew half the power section 3 times. Repaired under warranty but after the 3rd time, I was done. The problem with their design is the PCB's couldn't handle the heat and traces would get cooked. They mounted the power tube sockets to the PCB rather than flying wires from chassis mounted sockets to the PCB. I have no problem with PCB's in amps. I do have a problem with poor design.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        I had a 120 head. Biggest POS I ever owned. The damn thing blew half the power section 3 times. Repaired under warranty but after the 3rd time, I was done. The problem with their design is the PCB's couldn't handle the heat and traces would get cooked. They mounted the power tube sockets to the PCB rather than flying wires from chassis mounted sockets to the PCB. I have no problem with PCB's in amps. I do have a problem with poor design.
        Wow, that sounds terrible. Maybe I shouldn't even bother with wanting to try this amp after all. And finally get a 5150 instead

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post

Wow, that sounds terrible. Maybe I shouldn't even bother with wanting to try this amp after all. And finally get a 5150 instead
          Yes, get the 5150. I was young and stupid and traded a 5150 (Peavey first gen) for a BV120. This is when the BV120 was brand new. Like 1995-ish? The 5150 wasn't the legend it is today. I wish I still had it now. What a great amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
            I get the sense that there is a strong bimodal distribution in tube amp reliability.
            You got it.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I had a BV120 head. Biggest POS I ever owned. The damn thing blew half the power section 3 times. Repaired under warranty but after the 3rd time, I was done. The problem with their design is the PCB's couldn't handle the heat and traces would get cooked. They mounted the power tube sockets to the PCB rather than flying wires from chassis mounted sockets to the PCB. I have no problem with PCB's in amps. I do have a problem with poor design.
              What's the issue with amps using PCB? Asking as a newb.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

I had a Bv300. It was bad ASS. The only reason I let it go was because the head was 84lbs.

Comment

I think BV 60 head is where it is at. Or the 120 maybe...But I think they all had their fans. I like 50 watts.

Can't speak to the cabs - don't remember. I'm always surfing for one cheap. I seem to feel/remember the early Blue ones were better than the later model black ones.

But A 5150, or Marshall today is a better choice IMO.
                  Last edited by Aceman; 03-24-2022, 06:21 AM.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                    What's the issue with amps using PCB? Asking as a newb.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk
                    LPB pretty much covered it with his post. When the high heat dissipation components are on there, power tube sockets, as well using a poor PCB design or a PCB not sturdy enough (and there are some that are), that's asking for failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Some PCB-based tube amps dont allow adequate heat
                      dissipation for tubes and certain resistors that can get very hot during operation. The heat buildup, and the long-term effects of thermal cycling, can make components fail and damage PCB traces. Also, mounting tube sockets on the PCB can contribute to flexing of the board when tubes are being changed, which can damaged PCB traces and make solder joints fail or go intermittent.
                      Got it. I was under the impression that the better alternative would be a non-PCB design with the components mounted on the chassis.

Comment

Isn't this how the majority of tube amps are made, including the venerated 5150?

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Isn't this how the majority of tube amps are made, including the venerated 5150?
                          The EVH brand 5150? I have no idea. Haven't seen the guts of one. BUT, back in the mid 1990's, it was a fairly new thing to do. My 1990 Marshall had chassis mounted tube sockets for the pre and power but there were a few PCB's in there for the rest of it. The PCB's nowadays can handle higher temps and most likely are designed better than 20+ years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the 5150 does have the sockets on the PCB but I can guarantee you that the quality of the PCB and the design of it is done so it won't have the problems I had with the Crate. Again, it's all in how it is designed.

Comment

There is a reason it was referred to as the blue doo doo. lol.

Comment

I owned one, it was my first real tube amp. I liked it over the Marshall AVT and other similarly priced heads of the day. I really wanted a JCM-800 or a Mesa Dual rec. but those were way out of my price range at the time. I needed a cabinet too, so getting a head and cab for about the same price as just ahead was the issue.

I didn't mind the sound so much, it was a decent sounding amp, but it did have some reliability issues. The clean volume knob took a dump after about a year and I had to fix that. One of the power tubes was always going out and initially, I thought it was just a tube issue, but turned out it was a bad heater connection. I modded it a little more like a JCM-800 and that made it much more fun to play. I sold it to buy a Carvin X100b head and kept trading up until I landed on a 6505+ head. Along the way, I got a Peavey Ultra ( the predecessor to the XXX ) which made me make the jump to a XXX that I still have.

All in all, I don't recommend getting a BV-120 or even the BV-60, but you certainly need to try one. Just to say you did.

Comment

Working...
                              X