banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you plug a marshall head into a katana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you plug a marshall head into a katana?

I'm thinking about purchasing a marshall dsl20hr but can't afford a cab with it. I was wondering if I can plug the head into the power amp in on my boss katana 50 mkii? Will this work while I'm saving up for a cab?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

I wouldn't do that. You'd be putting an already-powered signal into the power amp input of the Katana. The power amp in is for modelers or other effects - it just bypasses the Katana preamp section and goes into the power amp of the Katana. It's not going straight to the speakers like using the Katana as an extension speaker. The only way that might be possible is if you are going to put a reactive load on the Marshal speaker out and use the emulated line out into the Katana power amp.

Comment

It's a pretty simple mod to add a 1/4" input jack to the back of the Katana cabinet. You want the kind that cuts off the internal amp connection when you plug a cable into it. That way, you are using the Katana purely as a speaker cab. Obviously, you leave the Katana "off" while using the Marshall head.

This is exactly what I've done with my H&K Edition Blue 60 with a Celestion speaker. I'm using it with my Bogner Alchemist head, and haven't had the H&K actually powered on in years.

Comment

I am pretty sure the speaker on your BOSS is a 50 watt 8 ohm speaker. You can put a jack on the speaker and plug the Marshall directly to the BOSS' speaker. I would then put a jack on the BOSS' speaker leads coming out of the amp so you can easily switch back and forth when you desire. Kind of like a quick connect system.

EDIT: Looks like Artie and I replied with the same solution at the same time. This is the way to go.

Comment

You would want to use this jack: https://www.parts-express.com/Switch...BoCUg4QAvD_BwE

Wired like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Switching_output_jack.png
Views:	296
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	6163267

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            I am pretty sure the speaker on your BOSS is a 50 watt 8 ohm speaker. You can put a jack on the speaker and plug the Marshall directly to the BOSS' speaker. I would then put a jack on the BOSS' speaker leads coming out of the amp so you can easily switch back and forth when you desire. Kind of like a quick connect system.

EDIT: Looks like Artie and I replied with the same solution at the same time. This is the way to go.
            I was just looking at the back of the amp, and I think your (Securb) idea is better. My H&K was a closed cabinet, so installing the jack was best. But the Katana is open backed. If the amp is still under warranty, then either unclip/unsolder the wires from the speaker, and then solder a couple wires onto one of these: https://www.parts-express.com/1-4-Mo...lastic-090-321

That way, you can easily convert it back for warranty service. If it isn't under warranty, Securb's idea would be a good way to go.

Comment

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

um why would you ?

Comment

Artie and Securbs ideas will work, but the Boss speaker is designed for a modeling amp, it probably won't sound as good as you are hoping.

Comment

Thank for the responses everyone. I actually think I'm just going to buy one if the dsl20cr combo amps. They are only $100 more than the head alone so I can live with the one 12" speaker for an extra $100!
                    It's funny how some stories became historic,
                    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
                      Thank for the responses everyone. I actually think I'm just going to buy one if the dsl20cr combo amps. They are only $100 more than the head alone so I can live with the one 12" speaker for an extra $100!
                      That sounds like the way to go. Good luck with the new amp.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        but the Boss speaker is designed for a modeling amp, it probably won't sound as good as you are hoping.
                        Bingo. Like a full-range speaker.

Comment

Working...
                        X