• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groove Tubes R series vs JJ (EL84)

Greetings,

I have two sets of matched EL84s:

JJ and GT EL84-R

Which set is better? (Or are GT’s just rebranded JJ’s as I’ve read online)

This is for a Carvin Belair 212. Thank you for any insight

The GT’s are medium (6)

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
      Greetings,

I have two sets of matched EL84s:

JJ and GT EL84-R

Which set is better? (Or are GT’s just rebranded JJ’s as I’ve read online)

This is for a Carvin Belair 212. Thank you for any insight
      No, those Groove Tubes are rated Russian made EHX white label tube set and are medium output.

It's not about better really, both are fine.

The differences in 2 new sets of the same kind of tube with similar output and geometry are minimal -slight differences in tone -and different amps and speakers may slightly sound better to you with certain tubes.

No matter how many JJ haters there are, there is no one who can tell you that the JJs wont sound better in your amp. It could be either to you.

If I were you, I'd use the JJs now, as they are easier to get right now. Hold on the Russian GTs until the shortage is over.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Groove tube designations are very complex [pun] :

C - Chinese

R - Russian

S - Slovak [JJ]

Comment

I have had good luck with JJ EL84's in my Peavey C50's and VK's for ~20 years.

Also, from The Vault:

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

33.33% chance it is either Chinese, Slovakian, or Russian. China tubes are Shaguang, Slovakian tubes are JJ's, and Russian tubes are made by New Sensor, which is owned by EHX. However, most " Brand " name tubes, such as Svetlana, Groove Tubes, Fender, Mesa, Sovtek et all, are simply sourced by one of the three major factories and then branded as such. JJ tubes are JJ's, Electro Harmonix tubes are only New Sensor made EHX branded tubes and Shaguang are only Shuguang tubes. If there is any other name on the tube, it is rebranded and sourced from any one of the three factories with the exception of the EHX brands. The EHX brands are Electro Harmonix, Sovtek, Tung Sol, Svetlana, Mullard, and Gold Lion. Those will all be New Sensor made tubes. Groove Tubes are a distributor, so they buy tubes from whomever, give the tube a rating and resell them as they see fit. Mesa does the same thing for the tubes it acquires.

I like JJ's and have had no issues with them. The EHX brands are great as well, again never having a real issue with them. I have had great luck with the China tubes too. A working tube is a good tube. I don't care who makes it.

Comment

There is a new kid on the block called PSVane. The website says they are founded by Shuguang graduates.

Once those tubes get labeled with top brands like EHX or Mullard the prices go to the roof. I am not gonna drop 200 dollars for a matched quad.

Comment

Working...
                X