banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall sound, where all can it be found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall sound, where all can it be found?

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    The 800 series are pretty pricy these days and really not cheap...
    +1... I've looked some up on ebay and it seems like you can't get them for under 1100$ AFAIK

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Old PV VTM or Rockmaster can get you in the range. A laney AOR with a few tweaks will sound as good, if not better than an 800. 6 knob version. I love mine. Vintage Traynor Bassmasters with minor tweaks will hang with any Marshall ever made. I have 4 of em, good as vintage rock tones get, once you dial them in. The Traynor YCV50 Blue, is fantastic.
      ]
      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Ah yeah the YVC 50...that is a major scoop these days, dark plexi tones...very cool amp!
        Sounds even more fab through a 4x12

Comment

The Peavey Butcher hasn't been mentioned,as it was pretty much in line to be like the JCM 800 series...
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by green_insomniac
            I read an article in Guitar World months and months back that Morello uses a Marshall head and he hasn't replaced the tubes since he got it years and years and years ago. I think he's full of it, but you could look into that! Buy a marshall and play it for the next 10 years with the same tubes!

Actually, my vote goes for the used 800. You could possibly find a one-channel 1x12 combo if that's what you're looking for. I saw one a few weeks ago. Peace easy, bro.
            that is what I did. Got it modded, now heaven
            Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
            Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
            Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
            Epiphone LP Special w/JB
            Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
            Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
            1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
            Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by Kac
              Ok, first off let me say I did a few searches with the search function and couldn't find anything on here, so if it's already here somewhere just point me in the right direction please.

The sound I want is old school marshall single channel ~ roll off the volume knob for clean and hit my MXR Dist. + for heavy stuff...

Where can I find this tone in about 50 watts without shelling out a ton of money?

I appologize in advance if this has been covered already, but your help is greatly appreciated.

Rock On ~ Kac

Nothing really delivers on a Marshall like a Marshall KAC. Many of the things mentioned here are "Marshall like", but you may just wish you purchased a Marshall.
              Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
              Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

I got lucky and found a beat up JCM 800 2204 50 watt head for $500 Canadian... it's a fixer upper for sure but these heads can be repaired and modded to sound great! It is in working condition but noisey... i too couldn't afford a JCM 800 but found this one and bought it... now i need to save some cash and get it fixed up by a good tech... It should work killer when it's done! I'm in no hurry to get it fixed up as i'm not in a band right now and i don't think i could use the 800 in my bedroom..... too loud..

WhoFan

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                  Hey Jeff.....I hate the stock VT Plexi tones in my amp! The only way to get it to sound better or right to my ears,has been to add the treble boost effect to it...Doesn't sound like my wonderful early 70s 50 watt 1987 amp either really?

Once I Put V30s into the matching VOX AD 2x12 cab though,I really started liking the JCM 800(UK 80s) tones alot as the V30s helped bring the mids and low mids around better for me....The UK High Gain(JCM 2000) tones I Like also....I don't use the JTM 45 or the UK 90s(JCM 900) tones much at all...

This amp still amazes me though for the $600 I Payed new for it at 60 watts a side....Heck I use this amp more than any of the other tube amps now and I do own some really cool ole vintage ones!...
                  Yep--the treble boost sounds great and as soon as I changed the speaker to the V30 in my combo with the right tube I fell in love with the Marshall models. I just can't WAIT for my 2X12 Earcandy to get here so I can really rip it up and hear what this baby can do.
                  My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                  or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                  http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                  700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

I guess besides the amp itself, the speakers also play an important part in the MArshall sound too =)
                    Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                    Gibson 1959 reissue
                    Gibson 1960 reissue
                    Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

I'm with everything JeffB said about the MkIII JCM900's. Get one while you can. I saw a few 50 watt models on eBay a couple days ago. Early in their auctions too.

Comment

I guess we do need to know a budget. A Marshall head of any kind and a matching 4x12 is going to run you AT LEAST $1200....if you shop hard. The condition will be average. Very clean and better Marshall heads (JCM 800's, 70's MV heads) are going at $1000 or better, unfortunately. I would not pay that for a used Marshall head, when so many boutique makers build a better copy for the same price.

That's why I suggested Celtic amps. JTM or Plexi head for around a grand, superior tone and craftsmanship, and you know Scott will treat you right and build it to your specs.
                        My Sound Clips

Comment

yeah, no one here really said how much you are willing to spend on this.

plus what do you want it for?? to play at home? cause if you ask me it is gonna be heck loud if you are playing a tube marshall at home. there are newer tube amps that play well at home levels more than Marshalls.

that is just my 2 cents. i recently went to england to buy an old used Marshall and i found one too! an old great shape JMP100 watt head. but it was waaaaay too loud for what i wanted it for.

i sounded pretty darn good, needed a pedal though to get a fatter sound at lower levels, but still it was way too loud.
                          at low levels it actually sounded kinda SS. it was buzzy and to fizzy. i know that certain people might not like me saying that but to my ears it was.

i tried out a VHT Deliverance and it sounded way warmer at low volumes as well as better over all to me.

anyway for home use a also tried a Crate GTX212 and it sounded great at low levels. cheap too.
                          so i agree with the hype on the Valvatronix, i heard it too and it sounds pretty darn good. not as good as the Crate but good none the less.

also you could try to find an old SS marshall. The kind that came out when the 800 series was out. Gearjoneser had one a while ago and can testify to its sound. a friend of mine here had one that we played through for years and it sounded awesome.

so what do you want it for? cause i think Marshalls sound good but really need to be cranked.
                          Ibanez Roadstar II
                          EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
                          VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

4 characters: 2204
                            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                              Ah yeah the YVC 50...that is a major scoop these days, dark plexi tones...very cool amp!
                              Sounds even more fab through a 4x12
                              I want to give one of those beauties a try!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

You guys are all super help-full just keep 'em comin! ha ha

Yeah I should have said a budget I'm shopping in... basicly the longer I wait the more money I should have... But as of right now when I get my pay check tuesday and the money order for the guitar I just sold I will have $300, I'm hoping to get around $300 for the amp I have now, so we're look at about $600 for a good used head or combo, so I'm definetly looking in a lot of places and hoping to find a good one in hopefully under a month

~ Where will I be using it, mostly shows, but I will be using it to practice when the drummer and bass player come over cuz then it does get damn loud, otherwise I'll use my practice amp at home mostly...

Rock ON ~ kac
                                ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                                2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                                Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Working...
                                X