Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help trying to replicate this sound

Hi all,

I'm in the market for two amps - a small (1W or similar) tube amp for bedroom use, and a big boy gigging amp, which I'll be buying later in the year (once we've financially recovered from buying our house).

What I really want to do is replicate the rhythm sound from Pat Smear's gear on the 1993/1994 Nirvana tour which I am absolutely in love with, heard in the background of this for example (only at the start, Kurt plays rhythm during the chorus weirdly):

Now Pat was definitely using a Mesa Boogie preamp (not sure which model) + Crest 4801 power amp, but was using a ton of different pedals at the time and I'm not sure which (DS-2; MXR distortion; ProCo Turbo Rat and others), and to my knowledge at least the Crest isn't available anymore.

In terms of the smaller tube amp, it seems to my (very untrained) ear like a Bugera V5 Infinium might get me close but I'm not sure which pedal to pair it with. For the larger amp I have no idea where to start, in case it's not obvious I haven't been playing for a long time now.

Any ideas? My guitar is a rather unique Stratocaster Blacktop with a Duncan APH-2B Slash pickup in the bridge, and a Duncan Hotrail Telecaster pickup in the neck.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Last edited by spleenharvester; 07-03-2022, 11:21 AM.

My opinion, is that getting the same kind of guitar/pickups will be most important thing. The amp tones could probably be achieved with any tube amp and the right OD or distortion pedal.

Sorry I don't have any specific information on that. Maybe Nirvana fan sites or past interviews might have that information. I remember at one point Kurt had said he was using a Radio Shack amplifier with cheap pedals. The gear they used didn't have a pedigree, it just got the job done.

Those tones are really dark. They probably used EQ on the board to put it in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
      My opinion, is that getting the same kind of guitar/pickups will be most important thing. The amp tones could probably be achieved with any tube amp and the right OD or distortion pedal.

Sorry I don't have any specific information on that. Maybe Nirvana fan sites or past interviews might have that information. I remember at one point Kurt had said he was using a Radio Shack amplifier with cheap pedals. The gear they used didn't have a pedigree, it just got the job done.

Those tones are really dark. They probably used EQ on the board to put it in the background.
      Many thanks for this. I absolutely hated my old AC15 but quite liked the neck Hot Rail through it, so I'm hoping my guitar/pickups are at least in the right ballpark. Bugera V5 is looking real tasty right now, lots of people complaining it's too dark, which is probably what I'm after.

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post

Many thanks for this. I absolutely hated my old AC15 but quite liked the neck Hot Rail through it, so I'm hoping my guitar/pickups are at least in the right ballpark. Bugera V5 is looking real tasty right now, lots of people complaining it's too dark, which is probably what I'm after.
        Just to set your expectations, a real amp will almost always be brighter and more present than the guitars in that live recording. Its an example of how the recorded sound doesn't sound like reality.

Nothing nefarious is going on, I just believe that they used EQ to cut the treble/presence at the board so the guitars would sit in the mix.

If you haven't done this yet, you should buy an SM57 microphone and experiment recording with it into your interface (if you are at the point where you are recording.) You will find that the position and distance of the mic makes a drastic difference in the recorded sound. The SM57 is the standard for micing guitar speakers and was probably used in those original recordings.

The reason to do this is that you will learn that while your amp has one sound in-room, its recorded sound can be very different depending on how you set up the mic. Chasing a recorded tone is more about how it was recorded than the actual gear used.

Comment

Cheers - ended up buying a Blackstar HT1 as I found one for a really good price, and the Bugeras are on backorder for months. Figure I can just flip it if it's not to my liking. Also bought a Tech21 Sansamp Classic, pretty sure that's the pedal Pat's using that I'm after.

Comment

HT1 and Sansamp got here the other day. It's not the sound I was originally looking for but god damn is this a ferocious combination. Really happy with it, much happier than I was with my AC15C1. Only complaint really is that the high end is a bit painful to the ear - wondering if replacing the 12AX7 with a Tung-Sol might make it a bit smoother.

I think my dream amp might be a Sommatone Roaring 20. Sadly since it costs as much as a car it might be a while before I can get hold of one yet lol.

Comment

I had a Tung Sol in my Mesa and found the EH 12ax7 to be less bright. Painful high end sounds exactly like Nirvana live tone to me, maybe throw an EQ in the loop if you want to tame it?

Comment

If you're not opposed to some kind of modeler that would certainly get you there. Finding the right combination of pedal/head/cabinet will be harder I think. Telecaster and Hot Rails seems like a good start though - thick, humbuckerey, a bit chimey.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

How's that Blackstar sound?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I swapped the tubes in the Blackstar out today for an old Mullard 12AU7 and a Tung Sol 12AX7 - sounds absolutely fantastic now, the shrill highs are totally gone but the thick rhythm sound hasn't been compromised at all! It's the older Mk1 version. Not the sound I was originally after, but I love it all the same and for £90 used I'm really happy with it.

Think I might treat myself to a HT-20 eventually!
                    Last edited by spleenharvester; 07-12-2022, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
                      I swapped the tubes in the Blackstar out today for an old Mullard 12AU7 and a Tung Sol 12AX7 - sounds absolutely fantastic now, the shrill highs are totally gone but the thick rhythm sound hasn't been compromised at all! It's the older Mk1 version. Not the sound I was originally after, but I love it all the same and for £90 used I'm really happy with it.

Think I might treat myself to a HT-20 eventually!
                      I’ve got an HT-20 head and I’d recommend it. I also did some tube rolling in the past with the amp and it really does sound GOOD….

Comment

Working...
                      X