banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Marshall amps less relevant than WE think they are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
    Sounds like a single sm57. If you want the secret sauce, put one of these on there WITH the sm57 both off axis at 90* to eliminate any phasing. Use the board and take the mids/highs from the 57, and the lows from the M201.

I know its a $300 dynamic mic, but it adds punch and heft that the sm57 lacks, and it rejects off axis noise really well. It still sounds like a 57, but a much better 57. You can change the realtive mix of the mics and get different tones. I got this tip from an interview with Kevin Caveman Shirley on how he recorded Iron Maiden, Satriani, ACDC.

Comment

If you look at the past a little you can see that the lunchbox craze started 15+ years ago. Vox with their Night Train, Orange with the Tiny Terror, Egnater with their Tweaker and Rebel series, and Jet City's short yet powerful entry and exit of existence. These companies alone practically started the lunch box craze. Marshall, Bogner, Friedman, and the like are late to that party, only recently offering " Mini " versions of their heads. The problem is that all these heads are made to meet a cost market, not be a replacement for the amps they are miniatures of.

Marshall has a pretty good lineup of amps that all have their core sound locked into them. I think Marshall knows they can't beat the others in the " modded Marshall " game. They would just be a copy of their own evolution anyway. There are only so many ways to make an amp that has the core sound baked into it before you start going in a totally different direction. Marshall can't afford to alienate its core market segment by suddenly becoming the Diezel of its own creation. The Mode 4 is an example of Marshall going in a direction it should have stayed away from. That amplifier was criticized then and still is today. Their Valvestate series was at one point criticized and only recently became lauded when everyone realized that the race to the bottom has gone as far as it can and that entry into that segment by Marshall was as good as " budget " gets.

Marshall currently has their Studio series which is an affordable series of their classic amps in small formats. Then they have their Origin series which is a budget line of simple, yet original circuits that are aimed at attracting those interested in a more " Vintage " look and tone. Their DSL series is simply a small format ( more affordable ) version of their once highly popular DSL series. Their Code series is simply Marshall's entry into modeling amps. Then we start getting into Marshall's real stuff! Their JVM series is their latest and greatest amps that have basically all the basic Marshall evolutions in a single amp box. Their Handwired series only offers two options, their 1959 circuit and their 1974X circuit, keeping it simple! Then finally we get into their Reissue series. This series has all your favorite amps ( sans the 1959 and 1974X ) and is modern construction recreations of their classic amps.

Between all those options, they pretty much touch on everything they have offered since their birth. The only thing Marshall doesn't currently have or offer is a modified version of itself. Their JCM800 is still just a JCM800 etc. etc. I think this is smart on their part, they don't have to compete with Freidman and others, they don't have to spend R&D on trying to come up with a new way to recreate itself and they get to continue living with the fact that most any other " Marshall " sound is a modded Marshall, which will keep them relevant without actually doing any of the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Sounds like a single sm57. If you want the secret sauce, put one of these on there WITH the sm57 both off axis at 90* to eliminate any phasing. Use the board and take the mids/highs from the 57, and the lows from the M201.

I know its a $300 dynamic mic, but it adds punch and heft that the sm57 lacks, and it rejects off axis noise really well. It still sounds like a 57, but a much better 57. You can change the realtive mix of the mics and get different tones. I got this tip from an interview with Kevin Caveman Shirley on how he recorded Iron Maiden, Satriani, ACDC.

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-...a-433907896925
        Nope it was a Zoom Q3HD point n shoot. Came out okay.

Comment

It felt like Marshall largely stopped trying to develop new amps (in terms of breaking new ground) years ago. Now, it seems like they're following trends. Everything is just a smaller, lower watt version of an older design that has been revised with less expensive components or the same design they've used for years with cheaper components. My first "real" amps were Marshalls, but was mostly a Mesa guy from the mid 90s on.

Comment

There is only two amps that I trust will sound good every time I turn them on, Marshall SLP and a Soldano.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Nope it was a Zoom Q3HD point n shoot. Came out okay.
              I was listening on my phone when i typed that out.

Youre right it is a camcorder sound.

Comment

Solid classic rock sound. Nothing wrong with that. Nice mid punch.

Comment

Working...
                X