Townshend’s signature Hiwatt CP103 amp head for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Townshend’s signature Hiwatt CP103 amp head for sale

I am not big on celebrity gear but I would love to own this amp. Even if it wasn't Pete's it would be cool to own.

Guitar amps used by The Who’s Pete Townshend and The Grateful Dead have been listed for sale on Reverb.com.

First up is a 1969/1970 Hiwatt CP103 Pete Townshend signature head and two matching cabs – all owned by Townshend himself – sold as a bundle for $100,000.

The head features “The Who” engraved on its front panel, while the cabs boast – according to the listing – the “exact same combination” of Fane and JBL speakers used by the guitarist both in the studio and onstage. It is, however, unclear when exactly Townshend used the amps.

Additionally, the bundle comes with a certificate of authenticity, and the cabs will ship in their original road cases.

In terms of specs, the CP103 packs 100W of power, and features a custom circuit with four separate volume controls.
    Well what do we have here?  A Pete Townshend owned Hiwatt CP103 amp with "The Who" engraved on the front panel and two matching Townshend owned cabinets (#7 and #11).  Comes with COA (shown).  The cabinets have Fane Speakers and JBL speakers with is THE exact combination of speaker...

Those pictures even look loud!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Great amps, unfortunately not many current made EL-34's can withstand the almost 600 volts on the screens.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
        Great amps, unfortunately not many current made EL-34's can withstand the almost 600 volts on the screens.
        Much better it were to go to a collector with a stash of NOS EL34s than go to some idiot who slaps JJs in there.

Those HIWATTS are a work of art inside.

Comment

I know 2 guys here in town who are interested. One of them collects vintage Hiwatt gear, and the other is the biggest Pete Townshend fan I know.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Now how do I sneak THAT gear into my studio without my wife knowing???

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post
              Now how do I sneak THAT gear into my studio without my wife knowing???
              Wouldn't it be more difficult moving 100K out of the joint account unnoticed than moving the amp in? If not good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Much better it were to go to a collector with a stash of NOS EL34s than go to some idiot who slaps JJs in there.

Those HIWATTS are a work of art inside.
                I love Hiwatts i had one in da 80's they're killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Wouldn't it be more difficult moving 100K out of the joint account unnoticed than moving the amp in? If not good for you.

Oh hell ya!

Comment

Would love to have that rig. Though the proper speaker config is JBLs on top, empty cab on bottom.
                    But then I wouldn't have a house to put them in.

Comment

Working...
                    X