Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a Shelf for Amp Heads

Originally posted by ArtieToo
    Sounds cool. I like aleclee's idea of the switcher with relays. You could go a step farther and do like they do with car stereo displays. You punch a button next to the shelf, and it connects the AC and speaker to that amp.
    Good idea, except I'd want the AC running to all amps all the time ... you should be able to hit the switch and instantly have the amp you selected warm and ready to rock.

Or you could just get a PodXT ...
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing
      Or you could just get a PodXT ...
      What a concept. All the amp sounds you wanted taking up a fraction the space as all the heads. BRILLIANT!!! LMAO

Comment

i have a good collection of amps.... i'd like to build a bookshelf amp cabnet myself...... I'd like it to at least hold part of my amp collect.... If i could figure out how to incase my JCM 800 head, my Classic 50 head, my 5150 head, my 65 Fender Deluxe combo, and a Marshall 1x12 cab in some sort of cabnet i'm doing it.... i have a pile of gear and a small room... for me to say get a head out and pick a can to plug into and get it all set up it takes time... I need a rack where everything is plugged in and ready to go...

Comment

I would also like to build a book shelf for 2 amp heads and use 2 cabinets where you can switch to any pair (i.e head A connected to cabinet A or switch to head B connected to cabinet B) , or you could switch to a combo amplifier with the rack mountable Switchblade GL by Sound Sculpture. The company is located in Bend , Oregon. I have used the switchblade for rack mounting the pedals and using it with different amps. You can assign pedals in any order by creating a preset and use certain pedals with certain amps--however you program it. This is contrary to the floor pedal board where you cannot reverse a pedal order that you laid down on the board. The Switchblade is great for use at home. i would not suggest it for a local band because it would increase set up time and so better to use a floor pedal board. A touring band might use something like the Switchblade. This requires a lot of wires and cost but it is amazing and does use relays. I made my own cable lengths by using Core X2. The sound sculpture customer service is great so ask questions about it. The Switchblade GL has 16 sends and returns on it. Enjoy! By the way, does anyone know if there is a metal bookshelf to hold amp heads and cabinets you can buy or does this have to be custom made my a steel worker. I am trying to save space.
          Last edited by guitarman54; 01-05-2015, 08:59 PM.

Comment

One thing you might consider is Elfa shelves. They are high quality modular metal shelves that can hold a lot of weight. And I think you can run cabling behind them pretty easily.

I'd double check the weight bearing capacity first of course, but these are pretty sturdy and they are relatively easy to install.

Also +1 on not using a Morley as a cab switcher, I have a feeling you can't use them for that; just for switching amps through the front end. I know there are cab switchers out there I just can't remember who all makes them.

sigpic

Comment

Wire racks are sturdy (some can hold a ton of weight) but the holes kinda suck when feet don't match up. I'd like to downsize so everything fits on & under the wire rack in my closet. Easier said than done, hehe.

Comment

After a few years, I guess I took Scott F's advise and moved.

Now, all the heads get a cab.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Oh geeze I thought this was recent

Comment

Is that a collection of fine hand creams next to your monitor in that last pic?

Comment

I used to use those kitchen wire shelves until my wife stole them back.
                      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Working...
                      X