PRS MT15 head review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS MT15 head review

Just got this PRS MT15 head in for a practice amp. Man is this thing LOUD!!! On half power mode it's about the same as my DSL40 on the 20 watt setting. This amp is awesome! I sent 2 other amps back in my search for a new amp and I'm very glad I tried this one. I first tried a Marshall MG50 which didn't have enough gain for me, it was there but it was more like overdrive than distortion. Next I tried a orange crush pro 60 and the gain on that was too fuzzy and the gain knob went straight from overdrive to fuzzy distortion with no ground in between. So that went back. I just wanted an amp with a good voice and good onboard distortion and something not so loud. I got 2 out of the 3! It's loud! I have a pedal board but I don't always use it and I want to be able to use the amp gain if I want to, I didn't just want a pedal platform.but as far as operation; it can get very heavy on the distortion, death metal territory when cranked but very articulate at the same time. It responds very well to my playing, the mids don't get too mushy if you turn them up and clean up very nicely without leaving the signal shrill when rolled back. The bass frequencies can get very deep and this amp excells in the lower frequencies in my opinion. And it has a separate 3 band EQ for the clean channel! It also has a global presence control, no resonance. The clean channel is quite a bit quieter than the lead channel which requires some levelling but each channel has it's own volume and EQ. The clean channel has a pull out overdrive on the treble pot which adds a subtle amount of grit to the clean channel. The clean channel sounds very good for an amp that rocks so much. It can get very bright but the middle control on the clean channel was very useful for me in combination with the treble.
    This is my new favorite amp. I would definitely recommend it. It is very loud though. It has 8 tubes in a 15 watt amp! Solid state rectifier but tube driven effects loop. Can turn down to half power and has bias jacks on the back of the amp. Came with a one button footswitch and a padded case for the amp. Very good deal, I don't think you can get more amp for your money anywhere else but here. When the footswitch is plugged in the switch on the amp will not work but when you unplug the footswitch it changes the channel and the LED's change from red on the lead channel to blue on the clean channel. It doesn't have a actual 'master' volume but the lead volume is labeled as master but each channel does have its own volume. I think that's about it. I haven't plugged any pedals in yet just enjoying the voice of the amp for now.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

"Next I tried a orange crush pro 60 and the gain on that was too fuzzy and the gain knob went straight from overdrive to fuzzy distortion with no ground in between."

I've got the same amp. Over the next couple of weeks, I began to realize that the original voice of the world speaker really is awful. I now have a V30 in mine, and the speaker has completely opened up the amp and improved the sound.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Originally posted by Condemned soul View Post
      "Next I tried a orange crush pro 60 and the gain on that was too fuzzy and the gain knob went straight from overdrive to fuzzy distortion with no ground in between."

I've got the same amp. Over the next couple of weeks, I began to realize that the original voice of the world speaker really is awful. I now have a V30 in mine, and the speaker has completely opened up the amp and improved the sound.
      Maybe I should have tried changing speakers but I didn't want to put more money in a brand new amp. But I'm glad you are enjoying it. I did like the 3 reverb options on the orange.
      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

The Super Crush 100 head might have sounded great into your V30 cab(?), I haven't tried one but hear great things about them.

If your DSL40 combo is your "main" amp, your new practice amp may be as loud or louder! I haven't played an MT15, but I hear they are very loud for 15W, not exaclty a bedroom amp.

Comment

EL 84's?
          And it just goes to show that voicing is as important as wattage.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            EL 84's?

Are you asking about the power tubes in the MT15? If so, they are 6L6s.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              EL 84's?

They came with 5881 tubes which is an evolved 6L6

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                The Super Crush 100 head might have sounded great into your V30 cab(?), I haven't tried one but hear great things about them.

If your DSL40 combo is your "main" amp, your new practice amp may be as loud or louder! I haven't played an MT15, but I hear they are very loud for 15W, not exaclty a bedroom amp.
                Your right, this is just about as loud as my DSL40 especially since it's going into a 2x12! The head actually came with 5881 version of 6L6 tubes and they sound great. I can't believe how loud it is for a 15 watt amp!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

My Spidervalve came with 4 5881's. They are clear and can get very loud and clear. Good power section to handle digital input. Though in truth, the digital signal hits a 12ax7 preamp tube first.

Comment

Not sure if "evolved" is the right word, originally it was the ruggedized military version of 6L6 type tubes but those days are over. Now days it's more just another version of 6L6 tube.

Comment

The first ones came with 6L6's then there was a tube supply issue and they swapped to the JJ 5881's. I prefer 6L6's in mine.
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Your right, this is just about as loud as my DSL40 especially since it's going into a 2x12! The head actually came with 5881 version of 6L6 tubes and they sound great. I can't believe how loud it is for a 15 watt amp!
                        The MT 15 is NOT a 15 watt amp it's right at 30 and the way they are voiced they will spank many 50 watters. I should know. as have a MT 15 and while I have owned it also have or had several 50 watt amps.
                        Last edited by Ascension; 09-17-2022, 10:05 AM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Like here.
                          Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

The MT 15 is NOT a 15 watt amp it's right at 30 and the way they are voiced they will spank many 50 watters. I should know. as have a MT 15 and while I have owned it also have or had several 50 watt amps.
                            I agree it is a very loud amp. I don't know why it is marketed as a 15 watt amp.

Comment

im sure its a 15w amp. it was actually 30w, they would market it that way. 15w can be LOUD though. a cranked ac15 thru a blue is a great example

Comment

Working...
                              X