Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Martin Plexitone versus Tonebone Hot British

Hey guys!

I've had a Hot British for awhile now and I think it is a pretty *****in' pedal, but I still tend to use either my amp's distortion or my FDII. The Hot British can be a little fuzzy/buzzy sometimes, but it is basically a good pedal.

I originally bought the Hot British to bring some Marshallness to my rig. The DC-5 has fantstic distortions, and the FDII is great for bluesy/fendering vibe, so I just want to supliment with a Marshall vibe. I don't find the Hot British ultra-Marshally and can often get tones I like better from my other options.

So the question is: Is the Plexitone a better Marshall vibe pedal than the Hot British? They're both expensive, so I'd sell the Tonebone for the Plexitone.

Discuss!

Mike
    Last edited by MDS; 01-03-2006, 02:23 AM.

Re: Carl Martin Plexiton versus Tonebone Hot British

Make a Boogie sound like a Marshall
    Good luck.
    Anyways the Tonebone is way gainer than a Plexi....if your amp is not all that fat or the cleans are non pleasent with a drive, the Plexi will not give what you seek.
    It is glassclear, some mistake that for thin..dunno why hehe.
    Just how Fender like is that Mesa??
    Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 01-03-2006, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Re: Carl Martin Plexitone versus Tonebone Hot British

I've played through both....I love and own the Plexitone and I don't own the ToneBone product? I could have bought either one...The Plexitone is the absolute best sounding Marshall "vibe" type sound in a pedal effect I've used to date and I've modded alot of pedals over the years...I wouldn't change anything inside of my Plexitone and in fact,haven't even opened it up!

The JackHammer is another great pedal for a guy on a budget.
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I had the hot british for a couple months, and I heard a sliver of marshall come from it, but it is so transparent it doesnt have a chance to do that job. Ive never tried the other, but i say go with the plexitone for marshall sounds.
        Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
        Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
        Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
        Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
        Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

I just bought a Hot British, it does a really good vintage Zeppelin sound but doesn't really sound like a Marshall to my ears. I think I'm keeping it though.
          Pulse 2AM - YouTube
          Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co
            I just bought a Hot British, it does a really good vintage Zeppelin sound but doesn't really sound like a Marshall to my ears. I think I'm keeping it though.
            I had put a NOS RCA 12AX7 into the one I was playing through and it was a big improvement..
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
              I had put a NOS RCA 12AX7 into the one I was playing through and it was a big improvement..

Maybe I'll get a Mullard (is that the name?) or a vintage british tube for it. The tube in there is probably bottom barrel.
              Pulse 2AM - YouTube
              Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co
                Maybe I'll get a Mullard (is that the name?) or a vintage british tube for it. The tube in there is probably bottom barrel.
                I went with the RCA because it made the pedal rounder,stronger and warmer...It was the perfect tube for my tastes!

Comment

Hmm...maybe I'll try a new tube in my Tonebone before sending it on its way...I like the basic sound for the most part, but I usually feel like it is kinda harsh, particularly when compared to my other options. If I had more control over my amp from my pedalboard I probably wouldn't use the Tonebone at all...

Thanks for your thoughts, guys! I might have to get a plexitone sometime and give it a workout. How much gain does it have? The CM website makes it sound like it goes well beyond vintage.

Mike

Comment

I share the same experience as STRATDELUXER97. The Plexitone is more Marshall than the Tonebone.
                    Gitz:
                    -Musicman Silhouette FR HSS
                    -Musicman Silhouette HT HSS
                    Ampz:
                    -Koch Powertone I 2x12" combo 6550
                    -Koch Powertone II 2x12" combo 6550
                    -2x Koch TS212h cabz
                    Otherz:
                    -TC G-major
                    -Teese RMC3 (with DML-mod)
                    -Boss FC50 (with DML-mod)

Comment

That`s the ticket , John let that secret out about the RCA tube last year and it`s a big improvement. The Tonebone hot British sounds good with a JJ 12AX7 also. I love the Tonebone for hard rock tones and it turns my little Blues Jr into a fiery little Marshall. For me the Plexitone sounded better for classic rock type stuff(Zeppelin,Hendrix,Cream) and was brighter sounding than the Tonebone. I still have my Tonebone which I love and sold the Plexitone but it`s still a good pedal.
                      When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
                        Hmm...maybe I'll try a new tube in my Tonebone before sending it on its way...I like the basic sound for the most part, but I usually feel like it is kinda harsh, particularly when compared to my other options. If I had more control over my amp from my pedalboard I probably wouldn't use the Tonebone at all...

Thanks for your thoughts, guys! I might have to get a plexitone sometime and give it a workout. How much gain does it have? The CM website makes it sound like it goes well beyond vintage.

Mike
                        Yep,harsh is what I thought also....That explains it pretty well..

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984
                          That`s the ticket , John let that secret out about the RCA tube last year and it`s a big improvement. The Tonebone hot British sounds good with a JJ 12AX7 also. I love the Tonebone for hard rock tones and it turns my little Blues Jr into a fiery little Marshall. For me the Plexitone sounded better for classic rock type stuff(Zeppelin,Hendrix,Cream) and was brighter sounding than the Tonebone. I still have my Tonebone which I love and sold the Plexitone but it`s still a good pedal.
                          If you want a really convincing Marshall tone from a pedal,the Plexitone is "it"

The ToneBone is also a good pedal,but I like the Plexitone more.

Comment

If you want a really convincing Marshall tone from a pedal,the Plexitone is "it"

The ToneBone is also a good pedal,but I like the Plexitone more.
                            I tell ya John I think my ears are different than most , maybe there just fried. I`ve tried so much gear that people raved about and my ears just weren`t digging it. For just jamming in the bedroom at low volumes the Tonebone Hot British does it for me but I know somewhere down the line i`ll pick up another Plexitone.
                            When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

looks like the carl martin is getting better reviews =)
                              Its next on my buying list, heh
                              Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                              Gibson 1959 reissue
                              Gibson 1960 reissue
                              Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Working...
                              X