Are there any great budget amps left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any great budget amps left?

I was just shopping for another Fender M80 Pro. When I bought mine, you couldn't give them away. I got mine for ~$125, and they were easy to find. Now I see the heads going for ~$250, and the heads are hard to find. From what someone told me the red-knob Fenders are building a cult following. The same with my Carvin X100B. Before Carvin went out of business, they were around ~$350 and easy to find. Now they are going for ~$600 -$700 and are hard to find in good shape.

What amps should we keep our eye on that are great sounding amps that will not break the budget?

Honestly, I think that the Boss Katana is a pretty good deal for a budget amp.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I was thinking about this just recently. My main guitar amp is a Vox AV30 combo. Sadly, Vox discontinued the series. They weren't budget busters and sound great. I wouldn't mind snagging another 30 on the used market just to have one as a backup. It's lightweight and quite loud.

I remember those red knob Fenders being boat anchors. Especially the Twin.

Comment

The red knob Fender tube swap and biasing procedure was very involved and may involve having to swap components.

Had one 30 years ago and my understanding was they are not coveted today because they were a budget design with compromises in quality. Its a vintage Fender that you can actually afford, and I think Nickleback used them for clean sound on some big albums. Probably just an accident of what they could afford early on and what fit in their touring rigs.

That said, if I was looking for a budget vintage tube amp, I'd be looking a little later at some 90/00s Peaveys. In the $300 and less no reason to not use a Katana.
        Last edited by Top-L; 09-19-2022, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I was just shopping for another Fender M80 Pro. When I bought mine, you couldn't give them away. I got mine for ~$125, and they were easy to find. Now I see the heads going for ~$250, and the heads are hard to find. From what someone told me the red-knob Fenders are building a cult following. The same with my Carvin X100B. Before Carvin went out of business, they were around ~$350 and easy to find. Now they are going for ~$600 -$700 and are hard to find in good shape.

What amps should we keep our eye on that are great sounding amps that will not break the budget?
          I have a super nice 91 Carvin X50 Hot Rod Mod head FS with the matching Anvil flight case for $450 if you want it. Killer amp but is big and heavy, with my back issues I just cant carry it around any more so it sits here in the Flight case.
          Best bang for the $ in a pro level new amp that can hang with a full band IMO is the PRS MT 15. Small easy to carry sounds amazing and hammers HARD! Not just passable but great high headroom clean that takes pedals well and a VERY responsive and touch sensitive gain side.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

I remember those red knob Fenders being boat anchors. Especially the Twin.
            The solid-state red knobs are super light, great-sounding amps. I remember around the time I bought mine, I read a Greg Howe interview, and he was raving about red knobs. That is what initially motivated me to try one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

I have a super nice 91 Carvin X50 Hot Rod Mod head FS with the matching Anvil flight case for $450 if you want it. Killer amp but is big and heavy, with my back issues I just cant carry it around any more so it sits here in the Flight case.
              That is a great deal but I took care of my Carvin itch when I bought my X100B.

I have been looking at Crate Power Blocks, which also seem to be creeping up in price.

Comment

XXX, JSX both are pretty easy to find at very reasonable prices

My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Vox AC10 is an incredible sounding amp -compact, loud, and beautiful -and 300 + bucks NEW
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

This amp is beautiful sounding and CHEAP
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My first thought was a Katana 50, which I've seen for as low as $150 used in ex condition. It is one hell of an amp even if you never hook it up to a computer. But if you do, you'll realize exactly how much you get for so little money.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Has anyone played the solid state Orange amps? How do they compare to their tube big brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          Has anyone played the solid state Orange amps? How do they compare to their tube big brothers?
                          Not the same.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Tube amps, no not really.
                            Never really have been.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Not the same.
                              Obviously, that doesn't mean they are bad, does it?

Comment

Working...
                              X