Is this a recipe for disaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a recipe for disaster?

I have been infatuated with the 5150 EL34 50 watt head for some time. It's a wonderful amp! The problem is (maybe not) that I have a Orange 2x12 with Greenback 25 watt speakers at the moment. I have been using a DSL40CR with high volume with no issues through that cab, though.

Would the 5150 head with the cab combination be an issue?

Originally posted by Ahpook View Post
    I have been infatuated with the 5150 EL34 50 watt head for some time. It's a wonderful amp! The problem is (maybe not) that I have a Orange 2x12 with Greenback 25 watt speakers at the moment. I have been using a DSL40CR with high volume with no issues through that cab, though.

Would the 5150 head with the cab combination be an issue?
    Only one way to find out. It might ne a recipe for a unique sound as speakers shape the sound the most. If you don’t like it, a speaker swap will take care of that.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

It is kind of a mystery. Wattage ratings in heads is sometimes more marketing than science. There are 22-watt amps like the Fender Deluxe that sound way louder than its 22 watts. Then there are Class D amps that claim to be 1000 watts that can barely get over the drums. If you are additionally pushing the 5150 with a boost/overdrive, it would increase the output. I would say go for it if you were playing at bedroom volumes. If you plan on cranking the amp, as you said, there is a good possibility you could blow a speaker. I like my cab to be at least 1.5x my amp. For example, a 150-watt cab for a 100-watt head. You could use the duo for years and never blow a speaker, but yes, there is a chance you might. It all depends on your tolerance for risk.

I recently upgraded my 150-watt Marshall 2x12 cab's speakers when I bought a 120-watt head. I might have been fine, it is all about what your tolerance for risk is.

Comment

You should be fine if you play straight into the amp. But as Securb said, if you use an OD/boost you could push those speakers over the brink.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X