Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do tubes always need to be matched?

...or just for push-pull?

Eg. The laney lionhearts have the tubes wired in parallel as against push-pull - not that I am very au fait with amp innards you understand - but in any case, can they be unmatched without any problems in that case, or do all need to be matched?

Purely curiosity...for now.

They don't need to be matched for push-pull . . . only if they use the same resistor to set bias (then you want tubes that can be biased by the same value). And even then, perfectly matched tubes drift once you start using them so amps tend to be pretty forgiving of mismatches.

I don't think tube matching is really a big deal for most people.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

So buying matched pairs, cuads...it's really all a load of b***ocks?

Didn't realize that.

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
        So buying matched pairs, cuads...it's really all a load of b***ocks?

Didn't realize that.
        Yep

Comment

Well if they start way off and drift even more then it's even less ideal. I'd buy matched if possible.

Comment

mismatched tubes are NOISEY. So if you like amps that hum loud buy mismatched POS tubes.
            Kinda like balancing your tires you don't have to balance your tires but its soo much nicer.
            For the record nothing has to be "always" anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
              mismatched tubes are NOISEY.
              This is true if the mismatch is extreme. In my experience it's not usually true if the tubes aren't way off spec from each other. And the matched tubes tend to drift under use anyway, so once your amp heats up for a bit you're probably running a mismatch regardless of what you bought.

Although, I don't usually play with massive amounts of power tube distortion . . . so maybe it makes more difference for those who do.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The idea that all need to be replaced at the same time is bogus. However, a tech should test the tubes to see if they fall within specifications to get the best performance. If they are out of spec replace some or all.

Comment

I think it's much more a hi-fi thing. If you buy a 10,000 bucks valve amp you might have some cash for selected and matched tubes.
                  ​​​​​
                  Last edited by hamerfan; 09-28-2022, 07:35 AM.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

If it's adjustable bias for each tube then it's not big deal, buy any and set the bias per tube. If it like 4 power tubes sharing one bias adjustment then best to buy matched sets because when I bought power tubes for my fixed adjustable bias amp, the rating affected the plate voltage which then changed the bias current, so one tube would run much hotter than the other and burn out quicker if extremely unmatched pair.

Comment

Those who bias their own and have ever had power tubes NOT bias in the proper range because the tube Z is all over the map know the benefit of a good matched pair or quad and why wouldn't anyone NOT want good matched tubes especially the crap they make theses days.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Those who bias their own and have ever had power tubes NOT bias in the proper range because the tube Z is all over the map know the benefit of a good matched pair or quad and why wouldn't anyone NOT want good matched tubes especially the crap they make theses days.
                        Every tube should be tested whether new or old. I wouldn't count on a "matched set" from anyone being perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                          Every tube should be tested whether new or old. I wouldn't count on a "matched set" from anyone being perfect.
                          Thats why its important to have a tube vendor you trust.

Comment

My adjustable amps have 2 bias controls, one per pair.
                            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

The amp in question that piqued my curiosity is cathode biased - not that that means anything to me I'm afraid.

Laney Lionheart L20H, it has 4 el-84s in parallel and they are cathode biased apparently.

Comment

Working...
                              X