Tell me about EVH blue channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about EVH blue channel

I'm curious about the blue channel on the evh 5150iii amps. I ordered a evh lbx-s that has the green and red channels and the red channel was too scooped in the mids(my sound is mid driven) the reason I ordered that lunchbox in the first place is because I was worried that the blue "crunch" channel wouldn't have enough gain. I don't require loads as you would for metal but I need distortion rather than overdrive if that makes sense. I sent the lunchbox back and am getting the one with the green and blue channels I hope it has enough gain. If someone with experience can please fill me in it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

I don’t have any of the 5150 III amps, but I do have the MXR 5150 overdrive. It is supposedly designed after the blue channel of the amp and was approved by Eddie himself. There is plenty of gain on top there.

Comment

Check out this amp guide, might not have information specific to the blue channel but has some good tips on dialing in 5150s in general

You might also need to clean boost your signal going into the amp to get it to hit the way you want.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I have had the LBX 1 and 2, and the Blue Channel didn't have enough gain for me on either. The LBX 2's blue channel had more gain, but it still wasn't enough.

Plus I don't think the EQ diference was radical between the blue and the red channels. Perhaps a bit more high mid voiced on the blue vs the red's lower mid emphasis, but other than that, it's mainly about less gain on the blue and less compression.

If you think your LBX S was too scooped, I would personally not go with any of the other EVH's. They're all kinda scoopy by nature.

Plus the LBX 2 was by far the worst at lower volumes. Fizz galore!

Comment

Working...
        X