Amp suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp suggestions please

I've come to realize that I like the 6L6 type of sound better than the EL types. I don't need alot of volume because I live in a trailer house (paper thin walls) I really like the way my MT15 sounds. It's brutally loud though.(loaded with 5881's) So I guess I'm looking for something with 6V6's? Something with the 6L6 sound but in a low wattage amp. A head would be preferable. Do you guys have any suggestions. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Mikelamury; 10-09-2022, 06:37 AM.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Mike, are you looking to buy new or used? What is your budget, an what kind of tone are you chasing?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      Mike, are you looking to buy new or used? What is your budget, an what kind of tone are you chasing?
      I'm looking to buy new, I would like to keep it under 800 if possible and I play mostly punk rock and ska/ punk but also some classic rock never metal. I don't need extreme distortion but I like my tone pretty dirty but don't want to have to max out the gain on the amp in case I want a little more one day. For example I keep the gain on 7 on my MT15. I like the more open even sound of the 5881 tubes compared to the EL34's in my DSL40CR. I need something that I can turn down to around under 10 watts or so because my walls are ultra thin. I just tried 2 EVH lunchbox amps and wasn't wasn't feeling either one. Too scooped and one had loud background noise. My sound is mid driven but Im not crazy about the specific mid frequency that the EL tubes boost. Hope that helps.
      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I absolutely love my Carvin X100B. It runs EL34, 6L6 or 5881 tubes. The power output can be switched from 100, 50 or 25, mine sounds great at a whisper, there is a master on. The onboard EQ is flexible and it it includes a 5 - band graphic EQ. Obviously, you can not buy them new but I would suggest looking around some local stores to see if you can find one to try out. They have tons of gain and an onboard boost, you can take it as subtle or aggressive as you want. The cleans are amazing.

As far as the amp's punk DNA goes, it is what Steve Via used on the PIL disk Album

Comment

Yeah, EL34s are the anti ska tube, so agree with your approach....

My suggestion is a Marshally mid-range OD pedal into a chimey semi scoopy Fender style amp -then you get the absolute best of both worlds

Freidman BE-OD into a Deluxe RI or Twin and you are done -but thats a few hundred more than your budget -so maybe do one of the cheaper Fender versions thats going for the same thing.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I was thinking Fender also a Twin would be a killer for what he wants to do, but they are so freaking loud. Even a 22-watt Deluxe is a window rattler, The big downside is Fenders are so damn expensive right now.

Comment

See if you can find a used Jet City Picovalve. 5 watts max but still plenty loud enough for a trailer. Plus you can run any sort of octal based tube in it.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                Yeah, EL34s are the anti ska tube, so agree with your approach....

My suggestion is a Marshally mid-range OD pedal into a chimey semi scoopy Fender style amp -then you get the absolute best of both worlds

Freidman BE-OD into a Deluxe RI or Twin and you are done -but thats a few hundred more than your budget -so maybe do one of the cheaper Fender versions thats going for the same thing.
                Appreciate the suggestion, I might actually go that way I'm going to look into the fender amp world, I'm not in a hurry I can take time to save more money. My MT15 Is sounding great I was just looking for something a little quieter. I can honestly say that the MT15 is louder than my DSL40CR. I only use the low power modes which is 7 watts vs 20!

Comment

One of those TSA15h heads with 6V6s perhaps?

Comment

I used to use the Picovalve at 5w in an apartment. Never got a complaint. Later at night, I could run it in 2w mode when my wife was asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      I absolutely love my Carvin X100B. It runs EL34, 6L6 or 5881 tubes. The power output can be switched from 100, 50 or 25, mine sounds great at a whisper, there is a master on. The onboard EQ is flexible and it it includes a 5 - band graphic EQ. Obviously, you can not buy them new but I would suggest looking around some local stores to see if you can find one to try out. They have tons of gain and an onboard boost, you can take it as subtle or aggressive as you want. The cleans are amazing.

As far as the amp's punk DNA goes, it is what Steve Via used on the PIL disk Album

That sounds like a very good amp probably a little too loud for me but that looks tight being able to switch tube types. I wish I could currently afford one.

Comment

Even at 25w, the Carvin will keep up with a loud drummer in a medium room.

Comment

My suggestion is a Deluxe Reverb or HRD and a dirt pedal, or even a Princeton Reverb.

A Deluxe turned up enough to overdrive is loud, but relying on the pedal will free up your volume knob.
                          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                            My suggestion is a Deluxe Reverb or HRD and a dirt pedal, or even a Princeton Reverb.

A Deluxe turned up enough to overdrive is loud, but relying on the pedal will free up your volume knob.
                            Yeah Princeton would be my smaller recommendation after a Deluxe. I think mid range distortion pedal into a wider band chimey fender style amp is the best option for most people who want clean/cleanish and great OD/Distortion tones.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I've been looking at the egnater tweaker 15 watt amp. It looks pretty versatile. Does anyone have any experience or know more about them?

Comment

Working...
                              X