Who makes good 12AT7 tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes good 12AT7 tubes

Just curious about who makes good 12AT7 tubes? I've never needed to buy them before but I do now. I'm basically asking for the best quality option for bang for your buck. Not necessarily the cheapest but the best performing for the price. Thanks to everyone for the information.
    Last edited by Mikelamury; 10-12-2022, 09:46 AM.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

It depends on what kind of tone you are looking for. Search out some tube comparisons online. There are tons of them

Last edited by Securb; 10-12-2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I've found JAN-Phillips 12AT7 to be pretty good quality and long lasting as a reverb driver.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Get an old Tung Sol from Amplified Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          I've found JAN-Phillips 12AT7 to be pretty good quality and long lasting as a reverb driver.
          me too, i have a handful of these and have used em in my fender reverb amps with great success. they work and sound good and last a very long time. no idea what they go for these days but i can say i have one in the pi spot of my main amp and it still tests good after years of use

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

me too, i have a handful of these and have used em in my fender reverb amps with great success. they work and sound good and last a very long time. no idea what they go for these days but i can say i have one in the pi spot of my main amp and it still tests good after years of use
            I just found a seller on ebay with a case of new JAN-phillips 12AX7's selling them for $10 each. That's the cheapest I've found any type of tube! Definitely going to get a few.
            It's funny how some stories became historic,
            especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              It depends on what kind of tone you are looking for. Search out some tube comparisons online. There are tons of them

https://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/...e-12at7-tubes/
              Those Kodak Labled Mullard 4024's are my go to 12AT7. Have several on hand and have been using them in particular for Effects loop and Reverb drivers for years. Have one in both my PRS amps fr the loop drivers.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I'm not any tube guru by any means,

I've had great luck with these mullards in high gain amps in V1 spot

This Mullard 12AX7 / ECC83 New Production Preamp Vacuum Tube is a faithful reproduction of the Mullard 12AX7. Great in Fender Deluxe & Mesa hi-power amps.

and for overall amp quietness,smoothness I have been very pleased with these EHX

New Electro-Harmonix 7025 vacuum tubes for sale. Your friendly trusted tube store with fast worldwide shipping. Always hand tested, matched, guaranteed and shipped in the USA. Thousands of valves in stock.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                  I'm not any tube guru by any means,

I've had great luck with these mullards in high gain amps in V1 spot

This Mullard 12AX7 / ECC83 New Production Preamp Vacuum Tube is a faithful reproduction of the Mullard 12AX7. Great in Fender Deluxe & Mesa hi-power amps.

Good to know I have 4 of them going into the Marshall before practice tonight, and I love your tone.

Comment

Played the JCM 2000 with the Mullards tonight. I can't remember that amp ever sounding better. Even the rest of the band noticed the difference. Very crisp with tons of grind.

Comment

Working...
                    X