Celestion A type vs cannabis rex which do you prefer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celestion A type vs cannabis rex which do you prefer

I'm going to replace the seventy 80 speaker in my Marshall 1x12 and I'm going to run it with my 2x12 with dual V 30's to get some 'american' sound in the mix especially for the cleans. I'm either going to go with an A type or a cannabis rex speaker which do you guys prefer and why? Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

i love the c-rex but it does have a smooth top end which i love, but i wouldnt use it with a darker sounding amp

Comment

I love the cannabis rex, it may be my favorite speaker. I use it with a PRRI and a 5e3. That said it’s a bit of an acquired taste, not your typical American voiced speaker. So it will give you an American flavor but it’s a bit it’s own thing. It’s also very efficient (103db I think?) so it may overpower the other a bit. So I recommend it if you’re open to something different.

Comment

I like where you are going with this. My old rig was a mix of Fender Utah and Celestion G12h blackback speakers, it worked nicely. Personally, I would lean towards the A-type speaker but only because I am more familiar with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
          I love the cannabis rex, it may be my favorite speaker. I use it with a PRRI and a 5e3. That said it’s a bit of an acquired taste, not your typical American voiced speaker. So it will give you an American flavor but it’s a bit it’s own thing. It’s also very efficient (103db I think?) so it may overpower the other a bit. So I recommend it if you’re open to something different.
          That might be a good match because I noticed that you lose a little bass when switching from the vintage channel to the burn channel and it seems to have plenty of treble so this might work, what do you guys think?
          But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I love the C. Rex . . . it's a detailed and clear speaker that doesn't get grating on the highest highs. I've been pairing mine in an open back cab with a V30 in a closed back cab for more than ten years now. It's a very versatile combo . . . great for clean, overdriven, and 80s rock gain levels. The V30 brings that upper mid spike, and the C. Rex brings a little smooth fullness to the equation which pairs really well to my ears.

That said, I haven't used an A-type.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              I love the C. Rex . . . it's a detailed and clear speaker that doesn't get grating on the highest highs. I've been pairing mine in an open back cab with a V30 in a closed back cab for more than ten years now. It's a very versatile combo . . . great for clean, overdriven, and 80s rock gain levels. The V30 brings that upper mid spike, and the C. Rex brings a little smooth fullness to the equation which pairs really well to my ears.

That said, I haven't used an A-type.
              That's kinda what I'm going for I think the c. Rex would be more unique/different sound to combine with the v30's than the A type judging from the frequency responses. I'm going to be connecting it from a 2x12 closed back with 2 v30's going to a 1x12 closed back cab that I'm going to put the new speaker in.

Comment

I haven't played with a C. Rex in a closed back cab, but really like it in an open back one.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have a C-Rex in a 1x12 convertible cab. It works equally well either open or closed. It probably has more sparkle open and a tighter low end closed.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Alright everyone this is where I'm at on this situation; I'm leaning more towards the C. Rex because I think it would be a more distinctive sound to go with the V30'S. It's a tad bit closer match in sensitivity too. That being said Im now questioning whether the C. Rex would be too much of a difference in sound for the mix with the V30'S or not? I'm preferring the C. Rex over the A type but I'm just worried about the mix of the two Speakers especially because speakers are non returnable. What do you guys think about it, do you think the C. Rex or the A type would be a better mix with the V30'S?

Comment

Mike, it is really hard to make the call, all of us have different tastes, signal chains, pickups, and amps. It is really a subjective thing choosing speakers but even more so mixing different types. As I said the A-Type/Celestron combo works for me, but I can't guarantee you would like it. Also, I love the warmth of hemp cones so I have no issues with the C-Rex. I know this is not a lot of help but at some point, you are going to decide what would be the closest match for you and make the leap of faith.

I would say if you do not like the speaker and decide to move on IMO the C-Rex would be easier to move on the used market.

Comment

C. Rex / V30 sounds like this:
                        Single coils doing gainy solo stuff - https://soundclick.com/r/s8db90
                        Single coils with phaser on rhtyhm with gainy sc rock solos - https://soundclick.com/r/s89z5v
                        Single coils clean funk rhythm, humbuckers with wah on solo bits - https://soundclick.com/r/s89rht
                        Single coil sized humbuckers doing some jazzy clean stuff - https://soundclick.com/r/s8lsho

C. Rex and V30 sound OK to me, I think you're stressing over a non-problem. It will be different than a V30 on it's own of course, but that's not a bad thing. If you really hate it, you can always sell or swap the C. Rex on the used market.
                        Last edited by GuitarStv; 10-26-2022, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Single coils with phaser on rhtyhm with gainy sc rock solos - https://soundclick.com/r/s89z5v
                          Single coils clean funk rhythm, humbuckers with wah on solo bits - https://soundclick.com/r/s89rht
                          Single coil sized humbuckers doing some jazzy clean stuff - https://soundclick.com/r/s8lsho

C. Rex and V30 sound OK to me, I think you're stressing over a non-problem. It will be different than a V30 on it's own of course, but that's not a bad thing. If you really hate it, you can always sell or swap the C. Rex on the used market.
                          Thanks for the samples, was that you? That sounded awesome! I play ska and sometimes get into funk territory a little close to that. That was really refreshing and nice to hear. And yes the speakers sounded good.

Comment

I wish you could hear Sunday Brunch through my JBL reference monitors the bass was shaking my office, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

Thanks for the samples, was that you? That sounded awesome! I play ska and sometimes get into funk territory a little close to that. That was really refreshing and nice to hear. And yes the speakers sounded good.
                              Guilty! :P

The first three were original compositions, the last one was a Mark Lettieri composition that I was learning as a guitar lesson.

But yeah, v30 mixes really nicely with the C. Rex for me. Not too dark, not too bright - punchy enough to be heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X