Kevlar cones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevlar cones?

Is this a thing? Has this been talked about?

It should be a thing.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I like hemp, don't see why kevlar would be bad.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

its a thing in non-guitar speakers so why not? although what we want from a pa speaker is different than a guitar speaker, id think theres a way to make it work well. maybe cost would be high though

Comment

They are fairly common in bass and PA speakers. I have one in my bass amp https://celestion.com/product/tf1525e/ . I don't think it's any different than any other speaker.
          Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-03-2022, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I use kevlar cones for my Compton gigs.

Comment

It's stiffer and won't break up like paper, its still light like aluminium but won't color the sound....but it's expensive.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I'm holding out for carbon fiber speaker cones. You can do incredible stuff with carbon fiber.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  I'm holding out for carbon fiber speaker cones. You can do incredible stuff with carbon fiber.
                  I was just wondering if that had ever been done. It would be crazy expensive, I'd guess.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    I like hemp, don't see why kevlar would be bad.
                    I can see why it maybe would. -too many focused and cancelled bands in the spectrum from the stringent repeating physical structure.

In general the more random the texture, structure and thickness a material is the less modal/phasing exaggerations are created, reflected or absorbed - so natural materials which tend to have faults and variations tend to be superior, however this is "in general". and depending on the wavelengths relationships to the Kevlar weave sizes

-I guess it could produce something more interesting and superior too.

Im sure companies are trying various versions.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I can see why it maybe would. -too many focused and cancelled bands in the spectrum from the stringent repeating physical structure.

In general the more random the texture, structure and thickness a material is the less modal/phasing exaggerations are created, reflected or absorbed - so natural materials which tend to have faults and variations tend to be superior, however this is "in general". and depending on the wavelengths relationships to the Kevlar weave sizes

-I guess it could produce something more interesting and superior too.

Im sure companies are trying various versions.
                      Surprised that no one has mentioned 3D printing a cone.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X