Opinions on Orange TH30 and Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Orange TH30 and Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Been thinking about trading my Orange TH30 for another head or a cool combo and got an off for a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 head. Looking for some opinions on this trade.

The guy with the Marshall said it's from 1998 and has already had the original board replaced with the revised one to fix the bias drift issue. Said it was retubed about a year ago and is getting the 16 ohm output ground mod done right now. This sounds like a pretty even trade to me, but I'm not sure. Are there other issues to look out for? I'm assuming that the revised board won't go bad like the original boards?

The Orange is definitely more modern metal oriented and I presume the Marshall is more of a hard rock amp that can get into tighter metal territory with a tube screamer. The thing I don't like about the Orange is the shape knob because it's very limiting on dialing in a specific tone. It's either got too much mid scoop with too much bass, OR too little high end with a lot of mids. I have an OR15 and it sounds a lot better in basically every way aside from not having a dedicated second channel for clean. I'm not into modern metal really. The most modern metal band I listen to I guess is Mastodon and I don't really associate them with gobs of gain. I think a Marshall type amp would fit my tastes better.

Another thing to add is that I have Marshall 1960b cab with four T75 speakers. I'm thinking about changing out the T75s for Greenbacks, but then again I'm not sure if I'll be playing with fire running a 100w head into the cab with the greenbacks since they're spec'd at 100w together.
    "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

JCM 2K is a fine amp, industry standard for over 25 years.
    The issues you mentioned are the only one's im aware of.
    Try it before you buy it. >

Comment

My rig is a JCM 2000, I love it. There are four primary sounds in the amp. Hot Rodded JCM 800 2203 master volume, a JCM 900, Plexi SL Clean/Crunch, and JCM 800 Crunch. You can take it past classic metal to more modern territory, I use a boost to push it and some stomps depending on what I am looking for gain-wise. The reverb is sweet, and there is a DEEP switch if you are looking for a bit more thump in your sound. I love that the amp also sounds great at bedroom volumes. I rotate a bunch of amps depending on my mood. When the JCM 2000 is home, I have no issues using it without blowing out the windows. The only downside for me is the amp is very heavy, with the road case it is a backbreaker.

Comment

That trade sounds like a no-brainer as long as the head is working well. I'm not a big marshall fan but I do like the 2000s.

Comment

I am with Dave I would definitely do the trade.

Comment

I love Orange as a company -the best artist endorsement programs, club support, industry support, technical support etc etc, -just great people
            '
            but I would do that trade for certain, -while Orange makes some great amps, they rarely make Marshall greatness
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Thanks for the opinions. We made an arrangement to meet up and trade this Saturday. Looking forward to exploring the tone I get with it and my newly acquired 1960b cabinet. It has the stock Celestion g12t-75 speakers, but I'm interested in trying greenbacks or creambacks in it.
              "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

I don't think the TH30 is all that modern-sounding?

At least not without a boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdwillis View Post
                  Thanks for the opinions. We made an arrangement to meet up and trade this Saturday. Looking forward to exploring the tone I get with it and my newly acquired 1960b cabinet. It has the stock Celestion g12t-75 speakers, but I'm interested in trying greenbacks or creambacks in it.
                  One option is to replace two G12-T75 speakers with two Vintage 30s in a X pattern (T75: Top Left, Bottom Right, V30: Bottom Left, Top Right). Cheaper than buying 4 speakers and yields good results. It's also easy to find V-30s and you can often trade the T75s for them.
                  "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    I don't think the TH30 is all that modern-sounding?

At least not without a boost.
                    The most usable area on the shape knob was noon to 1 o'clock which was slightly scooped, but not overly lacking mids. It sounded pretty modern to me with the massive amount of gain on tap. It has a thick sound, but I wouldn't call it real loose. Then again I'm not one of those people that has to push the front end with some kind of bass cut for lower tuned metal stuff. Certainly it's more modern than an old Marshall.

I got the Marshall earlier this evening. Had a little bit to play around on it. It's nice having a full EQ again, even if it is a shared EQ between channels. Ran it through my Orange 2x12 with V30s and played around with the settings a bit. It had a surprisingly good clean tone on the classic side. The mid shift and deep switches have a big effect on the tone. I have a feeling that most of my time is probably going to be spent on the ultra side on the lead 1 setting.

Comment

Congrats on completing the trade. Pat yourself on the back and rock on!
                      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

It had a surprisingly good clean tone on the classic side.
                        I have been a Fender and Roland guy most of my life and I am more than pleased with the cleans I get out of the JCM 2000.

Comment

Congrats on the upgrade!

those DSL's can really kick ass!
                          https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I have been a Fender and Roland guy most of my life and I am more than pleased with the cleans I get out of the JCM 2000.
                            The cleans were my favorite thing about the 2000. A lot of weight and depth. I'd love to get that clean sound out of my VHT.
                            Take it to the limit
                            Everybody to the limit
                            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

The most usable area on the shape knob was noon to 1 o'clock which was slightly scooped, but not overly lacking mids. It sounded pretty modern to me with the massive amount of gain on tap. It has a thick sound, but I wouldn't call it real loose. Then again I'm not one of those people that has to push the front end with some kind of bass cut for lower tuned metal stuff. Certainly it's more modern than an old Marshall.

I got the Marshall earlier this evening. Had a little bit to play around on it. It's nice having a full EQ again, even if it is a shared EQ between channels. Ran it through my Orange 2x12 with V30s and played around with the settings a bit. It had a surprisingly good clean tone on the classic side. The mid shift and deep switches have a big effect on the tone. I have a feeling that most of my time is probably going to be spent on the ultra side on the lead 1 setting.
                              Maybe because when I had mine, I had it at the same time as a 5150III, and that is the epitome of a modern-sounding amp. No boost needed, LOL.

I think my biggest issue with mine was that on its own, it wasn't very tight-sounding. Kinda sounded like a slightly less fuzzy more tube-y Big Muff. The attack was too round and tubby. Not very modern, I think. JMO.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-04-2022, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X