NAD: Egnater rebel 30 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Egnater rebel 30 head

I picked this up from the black Friday sale from Sweetwater for $600($500 off regular price). It seems like a good little amp so far. It's got a pair of 6v6 and a pair of EL84 power tubes and I can choose either set independently or I can blend the two sets in many different ways. I can also set each channel (clean, overdrive) to anywhere from 1-30 watts for different amounts of headroom and different playing responses. Clean channel has volume,bass, treble pots and the overdrive channel has volume,gain,3band EQ And each channel has reverb with spillover (whatever that is) and a tight and bright switch for each channel. Along with the tube mix knob and the wattage knob for each channel yields alot of different tones. The clean channel sounds very good and the overdrive channel isn't bad either. It has plenty of gain on tap for my needs. Effects loop, 2 speaker jacks with impedance switch and it came with a 2 button footswitch for channel and reverb switching. It came with decent tubes in it. I can see Ruby labeled Sovtek EL84's and a pair of Electro Harmonix 6V6's from the back and the 5 preamp tubes that are all covered but I was expecting JJ or GT tubes. It sounds pretty good so far. The distortion is kind of transparent If that makes sense at lower levels but does get dirty when you turn it up. Still finding sounds in this amp. Having lots of fun so far. Does anyone know what kind of preamp tubes are in this amp? This is the mark 2 version of this amp. Also came with a carrying case. Excellent deal for $600!
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

easiest way to find out if to pop the covers off. those are fun amps, enjoy! the spillover means there is normal decay when switching channels rather than an abrupt cutoff of the reverb

Comment

Those are very fun heads. I like your taste in gear, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        Those are very fun heads. I like your taste in gear, Mike.
        Thanks for the compliment, I now have an amp for all the main types of tubes now, I have the PRS MT15 that takes 6L6/5881 and the Marshall DSL40CR that takes EL34's and now I have both the 6V6 and EL84 's in the egnater rebel 30 head. That was an excellent black Friday deal but I still think my best find(not on sale) was that HB 2x12 with vintage 30's you recommended that was only $300 shipped. I'm still stoked about that.
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

While I have never owned an Eganter I have played through a few and know someone who had the Rebel. I forget if his was the 20 or 30. They are great amps, very versatile. Tube mix knob is a really cool feature.
          Congrats on getting one for a great deal!
          "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
            Does anyone know what kind of preamp tubes are in this amp?
            I'm not sure if they've switched suppliers, but the Egnater-branded preamp tubes in my Tweaker were Sovtek 12AX7As. They're decent tubes, but the amp can definitely be improved with better glass. When the OEM Ruby 6V6s gave out I replaced them with a set of JJs, but honestly the tone didn't change much. In addition to the JJ 6V6s, I currently have an EH 12AX7 in V1, a Sovtek 12AX7WXT+ in V2 (loop driver), and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3 (phase inverter).
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I've always wanted one of those. The ability to blend the tube sounds must be interesting.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                I've always wanted one of those. The ability to blend the tube sounds must be interesting.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                Yes it's useful because if you want more mids and growl you go more towards the el84 (left) side of the tube mix pot if you want more clarity less mids you go towards the 6v6(right) side which just sets the backbone to whatever EQ you put on top of it.

Comment

I've played the Tweaker lunchbox & the 40 Watt one. They were both pretty sweet. This one seems like even more fun. Congrats on the new head, Enjoy
                  "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                  If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                  X