Marshall DSL40CR vs studio JCM800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall DSL40CR vs studio JCM800

I was wondering about what the differences would be between the two models. I have the DSL40CR and am not too crazy about the lead tone, but what would one of the studio JCM800 models sound like compared to the DSL40CR? It's just something about the mid frequency that is spiking that I don't care for in the DSL amp and am wondering if one of the jcm800's would sound any different. Thanks to anyone who can fill me in on this.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

I haven't used either, but I've owned JCM800s and JCM900s in the past. The Studio 800 won't have as much gain as the DSL, not made to, and it will probably want to be louder to get good tones. I'm guessing they both have similar midrangey Marshall sounds though, the 800 might be a little fatter. Hopefully someone that has tried both can chime in.

Comment

I have not played the DSL40 but one of my DSL 100 channels is voiced like a JCM 800, if it is the same with the DSL40 not sure if the 800 is the answer. Maybe...just maybe, you are not a Marshall guy, not everyone is. This could be a great excuse to do some tone hunting and amp shopping. Especially with the post-holiday sales right around the corner.

Comment

Could you run an EQ in the effects loop of the DSL40CR to dial it in a bit more to your taste?
        Take it to the limit
        Everybody to the limit
        Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Marshall has a very distinctive midrange tone. That's part of its appeal. You can probably eq it down, but not out. Is the speaker new or broken in, because that can make a difference too. And not to sound trite, but have you tried backing off the midrange more than you normally would?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Marshall has a very distinctive midrange tone. That's part of its appeal. You can probably eq it down, but not out. Is the speaker new or broken in, because that can make a difference too. And not to sound trite, but have you tried backing off the midrange more than you normally would?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
            Yes I have tried rolling back the mids but then I start to lose fullness and that's a big part of my sound, I think I might just not be a 'marshall guy'. I like the tone I get from my PRS MT15 with the same settings it's just hard to play that thing at home it's so loud... I'm really starting to like the new egnater rebel 30 too. I have enough amps I was just wondering if there was anything to try to start using the Marshall more because I don't really play it. I guess some EQ in the effects loop will help I just need to find a better EQ than the boss one I have. That's probably the most practical option here. I'm just going focus on my other amps I just might not be a Marshall person.
            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Have you tried the DSL40 without the combo speaker and something else?
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                Have you tried the DSL40 without the combo speaker and something else?
                Yes I've tried the combo speaker and my 2x12 with vintage 30's in it.

Comment

Go listen to a Blackstar.

I love the DSL40, and the JCM 800, 900, Silver Jubilee's etc and so on and so forth...But I am most definitely a Marshall guy.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Myself, I would think the other way around and try on EQ pedal at the INPUT, not in the effect loop. You already have an EQ pedal, so start with the Boss EQ you have and see if you are going in the right direction, you can then upgrade to a better one if it's working.
                    If you want more mids, cut the bass and the treble then boost the output a bit.

You said you are playing at home not very loud with the DSL40CR, that's where the problem is and the best option is an EQ pedal to compensate for the Fletcher Munson effect.

Comment

Working...
                    X