Apex matched tubes different tape colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apex matched tubes different tape colors

I was just wondering why some of the packs of Apex matched tubes come with a red color Apex matched label on them and some come with a green Apex label holding them together? Does this indicate different grades of tubes or something else?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Apex are just relabeled Slovak & Russian tubes.

Comment

Mine are all green. Haven't seen red yet. IMHO, the transconductance and current numbers matter more than anything. Do the numbers on the red ones all match? Or are they a wider tolerance? E.g. the current and transconductance are farther apart in values on the red?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Mine are all green. Haven't seen red yet. IMHO, the transconductance and current numbers matter more than anything. Do the numbers on the red ones all match? Or are they a wider tolerance? E.g. the current and transconductance are farther apart in values on the red?
        The one I got with the red tape is actually a higher current than all the green ones I have. the current is 40 and the transconductance is 3540.
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
          Apex are just relabeled Slovak & Russian tubes.
          its all russian, slovak, or chinese for current production right? testing and matching isnt a bad idea

Comment

Yeah, Apex isn't a rebrand. It's a really expensive tube testing device that many redistributors have that prints out a tape label of the results you stick on the box and on the tube itself. You'll find Apex-matched tubes of all brands and from all 3 factories. It's just a matter of who was the middle-man who had the Apex machine and did the testing before selling to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

The one I got with the red tape is actually a higher current than all the green ones I have. the current is 40 and the transconductance is 3540.
              Hmm. the only tubes I am aware of with a TC in that range are like either a 6V6 or lower power-factor dual-triode pre-tubes. But 3540 sounds like a low number even then. What tubes are we talking about?

Comment

Yeah, Apex isn't a rebrand. It's a really expensive tube testing device that many redistributors have that prints out a tape label of the results you stick on the box and on the tube itself. You'll find Apex-matched tubes of all brands and from all 3 factories. It's just a matter of who was the middle-man who had the Apex machine and did the testing before selling to you.
                "Apex" is a rebrand / match / test yada outfit that tries to do what Groove tube started 40+ years ago.
                The only countries making tubes are Slovakia {JJ} and Russia and they're all hit and miss.
                China stopped making tubes 3 years ago but there are a couple Chinese makers if you wanna pay $400 a quad for $100 tubes.
                So much mis-information and marketing bling associated with vacuum tubes.
                People need to educate themselves and wade thru the promotional Ka Ka.
                Most "Apex" labeled tubes ive seen are relabeled JJ tubes they still have "JJ" on the glass, not difficult to decipher.
                Is an "Apex" tube better than the one's straight from JJ ? Who knows but i don't by Slovak tubes anyway.
                Last edited by JMP/HBE; 12-29-2022, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

"Apex" is a rebrand / match / test yada outfit that tries to do what Groove tube started 40+ years ago.
                  The only countries making tubes are Slovakia {JJ} and Russia and they're all hit and miss.
                  China stopped making tubes 3 years ago but there are a couple Chinese makers if you wanna pay $400 a quad for $100 tubes.
                  So much mis-information and marketing bling associated with vacuum tubes.
                  People need to educate themselves and wade thru the promotional Ka Ka.
                  Most "Apex" labeled tubes ive seen are relabeled JJ tubes they still have "JJ" on the glass, not difficult to decipher.
                  Is an "Apex" tube better than the one's straight from JJ ? Who knows but i don't by Slovak tubes anyway.
                  Looking further into it, we're both incorrect. Apex is an in-house matching system of CE Distribution. It's not a brand, but part of one distributors services, the same company that runs Amplified Parts and Tubes And More (https://www.apexmatching.com/where-buy , the retail web sites are all identical.). I was mixing it up with Amplitrex matching, which is a machine you can buy but it's freaking expensive. But nevertheless, Apex is not a brand, but one distributors service. You should be able to get all 'brands' that Amplified Parts carries "Apex Matched", from JJ to Valve Art to whatever the big 3 rebrand as.

Comment

Yes Bro i know what they are its the same ole sheet.
                    I knew about them about 6 years ago >
                    My local shop sells them they're are an over-priced JJ tube that can still crap out at any moment regardless how much its tested.

Comment

Matching has nothing to do with the build quality of the tube or its expected lifespan. It just identifies two or more tubes that operate identically in terms of current and transconductance. The only reason they're more expensive is someone had to take the time to do that matching. How soon they crap out after that is a totally separate matter.

Comment

Hmm. the only tubes I am aware of with a TC in that range are like either a 6V6 or lower power-factor dual-triode pre-tubes. But 3540 sounds like a low number even then. What tubes are we talking about?
                        Yes I'm talking about a pair of JJ 6V6S

Comment

Now I wonder if the red tape means they work but are out of spec for the tube type? Need to ask Amplified Parts if there's any meaning there.

Comment

Now I wonder if the red tape means they work but are out of spec for the tube type? Need to ask Amplified Parts if there's any meaning there.
                            I've actually got 2 other sets with red tape as I look through my drawer, I have a set of EL34's with a current of 36 and transcond. Of 7750 and a set of EL84's with a current of 32 and a transcond. Of 9990 are either of these seem out of spec?

Comment

The red tape means they work underwater >

Comment

Working...
                              X