No announcement yet.

Made a mistake with my amp, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ I would be surprised if Marshall isn't aware of the problem and hasn't engineered in some sort of protection over the years.

An old maxim still applies though - if it ain't broke don't mend it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
      ^ I would be surprised if Marshall isn't aware of the problem and hasn't engineered in some sort of protection over the years.

An old maxim still applies though - if it ain't broke don't mend it.
      That’s true. It seems like it’s not a completely uncommon thing to happen.
      You’re right about the second part though. It might seem cynical, but if they can save the extra penny per amp by not adding that feature, it seems like they would

Comment

All is well if all is well.
        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I fired the amp up and played for a little bit today. Everything is working just fine. I’m just going to be more conscientious about the speaker cable in the future. Thanks again for the help everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman642 View Post

That’s true. It seems like it’s not a completely uncommon thing to happen.
            You’re right about the second part though. It might seem cynical, but if they can save the extra penny per amp by not adding that feature, it seems like they would
            If it's only a bleed resistor or something simple like that across the transformer coil terminals I rather think they would add it, rather than deal with hundreds, if not thousands of warranty claims.

Same reason they put in fuses.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

If it's only a bleed resistor or something simple like that across the transformer coil terminals I rather think they would add it, rather than deal with hundreds, if not thousands of warranty claims.

Same reason they put in fuses.
              That reasoning makes sense

Comment

I think the real "horror" is a Vietnam made amp masquerading as a British one.

Comment

As to how " standard " output protection is, I couldn't begin to say, I just know it exists and is more common than we would probably think. As to which amps in particular and how many in modern production there are that do, I have no clue.

If you didn't see smoke, or a light show coming from your amplifier, the odds are really good that no damage was done. In many cases, you will hear the self-destruction occurring as the OT starts going into meltdown and your tubes try and not do the same.

Truth be told, it is really only a problem if you do it for a particularly long time, and or have your amp literally turned up to 11 while trying to play. The build up of voltage is largely a part of how loud the amp is set to play. Most individuals don't really use their amp at a setting that is all that loud in comparison to what the amp is capable of. Keep in mind that each +3db of output requires 2X the amount of power. So if you are playing at bedroom levels with a speaker that has an efficiency of 98db at 1 watt, 1 meter, you are probably only utilizing 1-2 watts of the amps potential power. This would mean you would be playing at around 98-101db in your room. This is not even going to make the needle move in terms of the amps potential. Conversely, if you play at 11, well, disaster will be swift.

Comment

I did this when I got my first tube amp a PRS MT15. When I first got it I turned it on for a couple minutes but there was no cable plugged into the input, I Felt it starting to get hot then realized I forgot to connect the speaker cable. I just leave the speaker cable plugged into the amp or if I do unplug it I leave it on top of the amp where I'll see it before I turn on again.
                    It's funny how some stories became historic,
                    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

First rule of thump: always plug your power cable last and disconnect it first

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
                        I did this when I got my first tube amp a PRS MT15. When I first got it I turned it on for a couple minutes but there was no cable plugged into the input, I Felt it starting to get hot then realized I forgot to connect the speaker cable. I just leave the speaker cable plugged into the amp or if I do unplug it I leave it on top of the amp where I'll see it before I turn on again.
                        I would leave them plugged in all the time, but the room I keep them in is too small to play in, so I move them out to the living room to play. I’m getting really strong carrying around a head and 2x12 when I wanna play haha

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                          First rule of thump: always plug your power cable last and disconnect it first
                          Yep! I’ve been following that mantra ever since I got this set up. It was just this one time I messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                            I think the real "horror" is a Vietnam made amp masquerading as a British one.
                            This is the kind of post that benefits no one. Watching you constantly log in to slam other people's gear is getting tiring. We get it; you have some very nice gear. That does not give you a license to roam the forum, insulting other members and their rigs.

Comment

This is definitely a "Pearl Clutch" internet phenomena - however, better safe than sorry.

Older amps were much less resilient to this than newer ones, some modern ones actually have safety features built in to protect the amp.

And as mentioned - plugging in your SuperDistortion loaded Explorer, with everything timed for that Classic Marshall tone, and plating through Living after Midnight for half a song...not a good idea period.

MAster Vol on zero, turning up until sound is obvious (or not) then trouble shooting if needed - always in fashion.

I too plug speaker cable in first/unplug it last, and have dedicated cables for each amp/cab. If it need a speaker cable, it is under the carry handle if not plugged in.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                                And as mentioned - plugging in your SuperDistortion loaded Explorer, with everything timed for that Classic Marshall tone, and plating through Living after Midnight for half a song...not a good idea period.
                                Yeah, if you're going to play something from British Steel, it should be Rapid Fire or Grinder!

Comment

Working...
                                X