Mesa Stiletto Ace for $675? (USD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Stiletto Ace for $675? (USD)

I saw one, a 1x12 Combo in a hock shop today. Let's assume it needs new tubes. I know opinions are split on this amp, but I am an appreciator. Does the forum think I should take it home and use it to wreak havoc on my new neighbours? (Keep in mind most of my stuff wont arrive for another week, tube amps included).
    BUY! STEAL THE DEAL!
    63.64%
    Try to get it cheaper!
    18.18%
    RUN AWAY YOU HERETIC!
    18.18%
    Last edited by Fender_Punk; 01-26-2023, 11:27 PM.
    "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

If it is in full working order then yes. Offer $600 and meet at $632,50.
    If it has the mesa str-447(eh-EL34) stock tubes then I would just roll with it unless they sound fried or defective.
    Also does it still have the original speaker?

Sitting on top of a closed-back 212 or 412 this amp is al;l you'd ever need for anything IMO.

Comment

I like Dave's thinking offer $600.

Comment

I've reached a point in life where trying to save $25 and possibly losing the deal isn't work the bickering to me. I'd rather keep a really good relationship with the shop and people so I also get the benefit of other deals in the future. I'd just buy it, if it's what I wanted. Seems like a somewhat rare box. Every Stiletto clip I've heard sounded good. Not sure why these particular ones were ever maligned, but I never owned one before.

Comment

They have a nice clean channel. That's a lotta amp for 675$ if you live in a place where you can crank it up.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Comment

$675 is a good deal for that amp. Saying that worked in Pawn shops for years I would make an offer of $600 or so and then see where it went. Do it politely and offer CASH no debit card no credit. If you can't do straight up cash then you can ask but be prepared to pay full price. Reason is a Pawn Shop needs cash on hand to make a Pawn, if you catch a shop running low on cash many times they will deal on something they normally wouldn't rather than make a bank run. Credit or Debit Cards put money in the bank but not cash in the till. In a pawn shop cash in hand is king and will almost always get you a much better deal.
              Last edited by Ascension; 01-27-2023, 08:48 PM.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Take the cash in a mix of 20's and 5's and 10's and even 1's to make it legitimately look like that is all you really have. Keep $7 in your wallet and some change in case they say no.

As for people divided on this amp...and owner of a 50 watt Deuce head - Eff them. That amp can out Marshall most Marshalls, and do a number of things no Marshall can.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Did you get it yet? If not get TF off the internet and get it!

I was at a studio tonight talking about this amp.

Hit the Tube Rectifier, Set it for Spongy, go for the crunch on channel two....B/M/T/Presence and punch the gain...brown sound all damn day.

Go Tube Recto, set for Bold, channel 1 crunch, gain not so much but channel vol up and lower the Master - AC/DC all the way!

Want some Mesa style? Silicon recto, Bold, tite gain on channel 2, run the gainsay up. Liquid distortion!

we can go on....seriously. Reverb has them 800 on the low end. Worth every Penny of that!
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The stiletto is the only Mesa I'd consider because it was designed around EL-34s...which are the only good power tubes for tone.

6L6, 5881, KT variants, even EL-84, etc are all inferior to EL-34 as we all know or will eventually know.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                      The stiletto is the only Mesa I'd consider because it was designed around EL-34s...which are the only good power tubes for tone.

6L6, 5881, KT variants, even EL-84, etc are all inferior to EL-34 as we all know or will eventually know.
                      I've had several amps that had 6L6 power tubes that sounded great, and I still have one in my Express 5:50. Nothing wrong with 6L6 type tubes.
                      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

I love my 2009 series-2 single rectifier with both tube types (have not tried it with KT or 6550), but running with 6L6 I prefer going through mesa v30 speakers, and using EL34 I like going through k100 speakers better,,,,,,,,but in both cases I much prefer mixing the speakers together.

Comment

Off topic, (but hey I didn't start it) while I prefer EL34 characteristics for what I like to play, I've had great and wonderful experiences with all the other power tube types; KT66, KT88, 6CA4, 5881, 6550. EL84 probably my least favorite, but I have a couple amps where they shine. The differences are subtle, break up point, slight EQ shifts maybe, etc. The circuit they are in has a lot to do with how they perform, so you can't just blame the tube. I have a Traynor YBA-1 that is merely 2 EL34 and theoretically only 45 watts (but probably 90 watts actual), but it has massive transformers in it and is so ear-piercingly loud and harsh when it's above 3 on the gain, I have to leave the room. Meanwhile a 2 KT66 JTM45 is one of the sweetest, clearest amps I have, with plenty of gain and no bad sounds anywhere on the dials.

Comment

I have a 91 Dual Rect Blue Angel, and it has both EL84s and 6v6s, but I think I can also put 6L6s in there.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post

we all have our favorites. mine are old gec kt66, they sound amazing. nothing inferior about those tubes compared to anything. currently they are in a tweed bandmaster and it sounds glorious!

Comment

Working...
                              X