No announcement yet.

New HB cabinets with green/creambacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you! If you like V30's, they're worth a try for a different yet familiar flavor. But honestly, you can't go wrong with either Cream or Greenbacks. I wouldn't mind playing either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

Are you playing metal? That's something I don't play. I usually punk or ska/ punk with a decent amount of gain but no chugging. I like upper mid spikes, when you say loose and saggy are you talking about the low end?
      Yes, heavy metal and heavier metal is about all I play.
      https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

I think Greenbacks chug alright. I overdid the bass a little on the amp on that clip, but they're pretty good for anything gain, IMO.

They are kinda saggy, true. But honestly, more than saggy, I'd call them dirty.

I think they're a perfect match for EVH and naturally tight-sounding amps. But true, they're kinda fat, so they wouldn't be my first choice for a Rectifier, for example.

Creambacks, on the other hand, have got a cleaner and slightly bigger yet more controlled low-end.

But honestly, most of the CHUNK on Greenbacks or Greenbacks come from low-mids, rather. In the grand scheme of things, they're definitely no T-75's in the low-end department.
        They do seem to work great for these types of tones. Where there isn't much highs to begin with.

I usually have much brighter tone. Personally I prefer G12-30 for that, as they naturally are brighter and tighter. The highs are much better balanced without the edge greenbacks have (It's not apparent in your recording as there isn't those high spikes in your tone.)

With G12-30 I can also dial rest of my gear darker which helps with eq balance.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I don't have any recordings of my own with Greenbacks, but here's video from Zilla cabs.

Sounds great for most of it, but after 3:10 in video the high mid spike is very prominent, that I so much detest. It literally gives me a headache if I listen it too long.

"So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Hmmm... Thanks for the description. I read the descriptions of the speakers on the Celestion website and it says that the greenbacks are better for high gain. Do you find that to be true? I'm trying to decide which 2x12 would be best for high gain stuff.(I play punk) I already have one of their 2x12's with V30's in it, looking to get another 2x12 to go with the one I already have. Basically, I'm asking you which one you think would be better for high gain stuff?
            I like the old ones, but have no experience with the reissues.
            It occurs to me the greenbacks I've used may have been darker simply due to age.
            Can't say for sure.
            I don't need tight chunk myself, and do prefer a looser low end.
            When I play with high gain it's for leads, no chugging.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Your the one that pointed me towards my HB 2X12 With V30'S, just repaying the favor! Lol how can they make these cabs so cheap? And these cabs are better Spec'd than the one I have with V30'S. They're made from birch and you can take the back off of them. Definitely a better cab than their old ones.
              Not sure how they make them so cheap but I am eyeballing one of their empty 1x12 cabs for a home for one of the G12H Blackbacks I have in storage.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                I don't have any recordings of my own with Greenbacks, but here's video from Zilla cabs.

Sounds great for most of it, but after 3:10 in video the high mid spike is very prominent, that I so much detest. It literally gives me a headache if I listen it too long.
                That was a good comparison. I definitely hear the upper mid spike, once I have some distortion it doesn't pierce through my head anymore. Thanks for sharing that.
                It's funny how some stories became historic,
                especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Not IME.

IME, Creambacks are darker and chunkier than Greenbacks. At least the RI ones. The EVH/Heritage Greenbacks are another story.

Not that they're really dark per se, but the RI 25W Greenbacks are pretty ratty in the high mids/highs (compared to Creambacks). That's exactly what gives them their character, especially once you start pushing them.

Creambacks are tighter, yes, but not because they've got less lows, but because they break up less are less ratty overall.

I've had them both in my old Marshall cab. Both Creambacks and Chinese and British RI Greenbacks.

I *personally* prefer the ratty character of Greenbacks, but Creambacks would by my second choice. I prefer them both to V30's. In the room, at least. Recorded, that's a tough call. V30's are THAT sound.

Compared to V30's, Greenbacks/Creambacks are more balanced. Chunkier in the low mids, not as honky in the core mids, and the higher end isn't really *more*, but it's more open-sounding compared to the V30's midspike, so they can come off as smoother, IMO.
                  Similar to my experience as well. I own a new set of both, so I have the benefit of a direct comparison in the same cab. For me, the G12M ( greenbacks ) are almost too bright, the lows are mild, but it did have that woody lower mid-range thing going on. Overall, not bad for a cheap rendition of itself. The REAL G12M's are closer to what the off-the-shelf Creamback 65 sounds like. The Creamback 65 is a pretty balanced speaker tonally. It has strong lows, and a balanced mid and top end. My favorite speaker thus far. For my guitar amp builds, If I build a combo ( which is not very often ) I load it with Creambacks. The creambacks work great in 1X12" options and open back options. I think a 4X12" option of Creambacks might start to show their weakness. Too solid and round once you get 4 of them going.

Comment

Thanks for the description, I think I'm starting to lean more towards the greenbacks from what I'm hearing so far. I don't really play clean alot of the time and always use a good amount of gain.
                    For your style of music I think you'd be making a mistake using greenbacks. Great for blues, cleans or ACDC but flubby for high gain palm mutes and weak for wattage.

There are two creambacks. The 65 and 75. They are completely different. I prefer the 75 but what's wrong with your v30 cab? They're great speakers.

65 vs 75 creamback comparison

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post

For your style of music I think you'd be making a mistake using greenbacks. Great for blues, cleans or ACDC but flubby for high gain palm mutes and weak for wattage.

There are two creambacks. The 65 and 75. They are completely different. I prefer the 75 but what's wrong with your v30 cab? They're great speakers.

65 vs 75 creamback comparison
                      There's nothing wrong with my V30 cab I just wanted to try something a little different but kinda in the same ballpark just for some options. I'm still not sure which one I'm going with. How do you think the creambacks would sound for playing punk and ska/punk compared to the V30's?
                      It's funny how some stories became historic,
                      especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I think Greenbacks chug alright. I overdid the bass a little on the amp on that clip, but they're pretty good for anything gain, IMO.

They are kinda saggy, true. But honestly, more than saggy, I'd call them dirty.

I think they're a perfect match for EVH and naturally tight-sounding amps. But true, they're kinda fat, so they wouldn't be my first choice for a Rectifier, for example.

Creambacks, on the other hand, have got a cleaner and slightly bigger yet more controlled low-end.

But honestly, most of the CHUNK on Greenbacks or Greenbacks come from low-mids, rather. In the grand scheme of things, they're definitely no T-75's in the low-end department.
                        Great AILD riffing, btw!
                        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post

Great AILD riffing, btw!
                          Thank you! I love the tone on that record so much.

Many people think the TEOH record is the ultimate metalcore tone. I think its Shadows Are Security. So Swedish-sounding. So much grind and chunk.
                          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-14-2023, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Thank you! I love the tone on that record so much.

Many people think the TEOH record is the ultimate metalcore tone. I think its Shadows Are Security. So Swedish-sounding. So much grind and chunk.
                            I totally agree, although I think SBF to be one of the greatest sounding Metal records of all time, mainly because of stellar production, but also due to the musicianship on show.
                            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

SBF?

Comment

In my experience Greenbacks are more gritty and midrangy with less lows than a creamback and the greenback lows are pretty loose .... but I think the modern ones are a little darker and tamer
                                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                                X