Speaker cab question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker cab question.

I have a 2x12 cab w/ two UK V30's each 16 ohm and a 1978 Marshall 4x12 w/ 25 watt / 16 ohm Blackbacks.
    If i score a Mesa triple rec and put the two V30's into the Marshall cab that would cover the 150 watt amp right ?

Of course i could run the 2 cabs together @ 8 ohms but would be way more than i need.

The power would evenly divide between the four speakers

Damaging the two 25 watt speakers
    or that would be my estimate

On the bright side
    It would sound glorious untill it fails

They always do
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Would still be a 100w cab.

Comment

Even though V30s are actually something like 60-watt speakers voiced to sound like a 30-watt, it isn't like the 30s will handle the first 120-watts and then the 25-watters will take over. All four are going to get hit with the signal. It might sound awesome for a few minutes, but I don't think it would work out that well as a regular practicing set up, unless you never open up the Mesa and keep it pretty low. When I talked to Celestion, they seemed to indicate that power and ohm ratings were averages, not absolutes, so you might get away with it for a little while. But if you really want to hear and enjoy the Mesa, I think you'd really want a cab designed to handle the amp from the get-go.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
          1978 Marshall 4x12 w/ 25 watt / 16 ohm Blackbacks.
          Check the cones on the blackbacks if they are stamped 1117 or 0444 they are Pulsonic cones and worth big bucks. I would be ultra-careful with them.

Comment

by around '75 celestion started using kurt mueller cones, and '78/79 was the end of the 25w greenback/blackback cabs. so if those are stock speakers, they are mueller cones, but still some of the last 25s to be put in cabs for many years

Comment

Working...
            X