Finally got my A type speaker hooked up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my A type speaker hooked up

I finally got around to Changing the 70 80 speaker out of my Marshall MX112R cab and I replaced it with an 8 ohm A type speaker and it sounds better but what I noticed/learned is that it seems like the lower a speaker is to the ground the darker it sounds. I changed the 70 80 because it was way too dark but I did have it on the floor. I noticed when I got the A type in The cab it didn't sound as bright as expected but I had the cab on the ground and when I set it on top of my bass amp it sounds brighter and better. I tried it both with the back on and off the can and I think the A type sounds better with the open back do that's how I left it with the jack taped to the top of the cab.(no little cup for the jack to screw into) It's a nice change of pace just to hear your tone from a different speaker at times. With my same amp settings that new speaker sounds great do I'm going to have more options to experiment with now, excellent!
    Anybody else like the sound of the Celestion A type speaker for rock?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

That is great news, Mike. Glad it is working out. I use the A-Type in my rock/metal rig. I am wondering how it sounds in a closed cab. What kind of head are you using with it?

Comment

Well, the A-Type is one of the darkest speakers Celestion offers. IMO, better fitting for open back cabs for sure, so that's that I would've done as well. I've always thought the Seventy 80 was pretty harsh and fizzy, on the other hand.

And if you're changing from 16 to 8 ohms, 8 ohm speakers tend to be darker and middier than their 16 ohm counterparts.

But glad you could sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        That is great news, Mike. Glad it is working out. I use the A-Type in my rock/metal rig. I am wondering how it sounds in a closed cab. What kind of head are you using with it?
        When I had it in with the back closed it was a little darker and the way it was pushing the upper mids sounded a little muffled to my ears when comparing it to having the back off it was a little brighter and clearer to me when raised off the floor, it sounded darker and a bit dull when on the floor to me but I might just be used to my 2x12 which has the top speaker slanted.
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I'm using it with my PRS MT15 head by itself and with my Egnater rebel 30 head that I can safely mismatch both of my cabs at the same time (2x12 V30'S &1x12 A type- both 8 ohm)

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            Well, the A-Type is one of the darkest speakers Celestion offers. IMO, better fitting for open back cabs for sure, so that's that I would've done as well. I've always thought the Seventy 80 was pretty harsh and fizzy, on the other hand.

And if you're changing from 16 to 8 ohms, 8 ohm speakers tend to be darker and middier than their 16 ohm counterparts.

But glad you could sort it out in the end!
            70/80's are bright for sure. But they have a solid low end and a flat mid response. They pair well with speakers that have a lot of mids. My buddy's Randall 4x12 came with Jaguars. They seem fairly middy to me. Two had damaged cones (the original owner kicked holes in the two bottom speakers to get mores distortion from the cab). So we replaced them with 70/80's, but in an X pattern. That cab will now either sing sweetly and loud, or rip your head off and trample your guts.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              70/80's are bright for sure. But they have a solid low end and a flat mid response. They pair well with speakers that have a lot of mids. My buddy's Randall 4x12 came with Jaguars. They seem fairly middy to me. Two had damaged cones (the original owner kicked holes in the two bottom speakers to get mores distortion from the cab). So we replaced them with 70/80's, but in an X pattern. That cab will now either sing sweetly and loud, or rip your head off and trample your guts.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
              Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Seventy 80's myself, but they're also not the worst speakers around. They are budget Celestions, though, and I think lately, Celestion has come up with better-sounding budget models like the V-Type. Or maybe not "better-sounding", but rather, more traditional-Celestion-sounding.

I'd imagine the brighter Seventy 80's and Jaguars would mix well. Especially well worn-in Jaguars from the 80's.

Comment

I'll just add that often the direction the speaker is facing (right at your face, down toward your knees, etc.) can make a HUGE difference in how you hear it. It might be a combination of it being on the floor and where being on the floor points it, IMHO.

Larry

Comment

is the a type that dark? i dont have much experience with em but thought they were kinda balanced when i have played through em

Comment

IIRC they are modeled after the Fender Jensens, which have a lot of thump in them when needed especially in a Twin.

Comment

I guess it has to do with context. You will usually hear these in open back cabs, and the rest of the Celestion lineup in closed back cabs. *Usually*.

But they do seem a bit darker on the clips. I've always thought these are kinda Celestion's Texas Heats.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        is the a type that dark? i dont have much experience with em but thought they were kinda balanced when i have played through em
                        I don't find them that dark (maybe a little) especially in an open back cab. But if someone was playing with the back closed I can see how they might think they're a bit darker but as pointed out above, I just learned that how/where this speaker is pointed and placed can make it sound brighter it darker also but at waist level in an open back 1x12 cab it's not dark to me but pretty balanced actually.

Comment

Working...
                        X