No announcement yet.

One trick ponies or Jack of all trades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One trick ponies or Jack of all trades?

What do you look for in an amp more? Versatility or a strong/unique character to their sound? I've always been the kind of guy who prefers AC/DC. Motorhead, Maiden etc to bands that change form album to album as far as my taste in music goes & the same thing extends to my preference in amps..I much prefer the way a Recto sounds to a Mark, a JCM 800 to a JVM , An Orange to well anything else out there etc...

I was listening to demo's of other modern hi gain amps and thinking that while they're all supposedly brutal, (I often don't hear it tbh) what they lack is individuality & I honestly doubt anyone could "pick out the amp' in a blind test with other similar amps, ;cause of the facelessness of their sound & their lack of any charecteristics that set them apart from the next "flavour of the month amp". But they all claim to be "versatile". So is versatility just another word for facelessness?

Just wondering what others think?
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

I can only speak from YouTube experience, and from what I've heard in records, but I definetely prefer amps with personality: a 5E3 Fender Tweed, a JTM 45, a Plexi. There is a reason why these 50-60 year old designs are still used: you can instantly recognize them. The 30 year old Rectifier too. And all these amps are not one trick ponies: you can get great low-medium gain tones from a Recrifier, great clean tones from a Plexi, and you can surely make the Tweed roar. Neil Young certainly does.

Comment

Funny you just posted this. I was just downstairs playing with my Randell orange stripe. You can dial it in very neutral and add a stomp to get a traditional metal/high-gain tone, and it sounds great. Pulling the amp's "personality" out of it gives you a unique playing experience. Traces of 60's and wonderful grainy, lo-fi distorted tones. My Fender Excelsior is even more stripped-down and funky. I would say my Carvin X100B is fairly complex with multiple channels, 5 Band EQ and gain staging. And the JCM 2000 also has a huge range of tone. But typically, even in a complex amp, I am dialed into one tone I really like.

TL/DR: The simpler the better for me

Comment

I prefer an amp that makes 'that' one sound that I never get tired of hearing. If I need another sound, I need another amp. ;-)

Comment

I need a great clean sound at any volume, and a long tail reverb. If an amp has those things, I can make it work.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Whatever works. I own a Soldano Hot Rod 50, a bare-bones single-channel amp, and a JVM Satriani, which is probably the most versatile amp Marshall has ever made. Both sound glorious when dialed in correctly, but with the Soldano I had better not need any pristine cleans. I can't say that I hear any difference in recognisability as a rule.
            Last edited by Sirion; 03-12-2023, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabelais View Post
              you can instantly recognize them. The 30 year old Rectifier too. And all these amps are not one trick ponies:
              Yeah ..instantly recognizable ....that's what I meant. Like you said they are'nt nessesasirily one trick ponies.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

The guitar sound is an sm57 on a 75 watt celestion. Amp brand doesnt really matter. When things get loud, the differences get even smaller. Speaker cabs matter most.

Comment

I'm afraid I disagree completely ^^... Though I'm sure when you have a faceless sounding amplifier that's most likely the case. (Revv, Mezzabarba, Driftwood or what have you..)

Otherwise, an Orange or Recto into__________ (insert speaker/cab of your choice) always sounds like an Orange/ Recto to me...

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                    I'm afraid I disagree completely ^^... Though I'm sure when you have a faceless sounding amplifier that's most likely the case. (Revv, Mezzabarba, Driftwood or what have you..)

Otherwise, an Orange or Recto into__________ (insert speaker/cab of your choice) always sounds like an Orange/ Recto to me...
                    The vast majority of guitar music, you either cant tell what brand the amp is, or it sounds like a marshall.

Comment

The point of a modern mix is to compress the life out of everything & suck out any character that an amp might have

I guess I meant in the room & definitely not in a "modern" mix of any sort ..

There are plenty "flavor of the month" type amps out there that are as faceless/forgettable/interchangeable &"versatile" in either situation (room & mix)

Youtube

Comment

I want an amp that allows me to cover any song.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                          Whatever works. I own a Soldano Hot Rod 50, a bare-bones single-channel amp, and a JVM Satriani, which is probably the most versatile amp Marshall has ever made. Both sound glorious when dialed in correctly, but with the Soldano I had better not need any pristine cleans. I can't say that I hear any difference in recognisability as a rule.
                          The JVM is actually my fave of the versatile amps out there. i would'nt say it lacks character at all despite being versatile. That's beecause it always undoubtedly sounds sounds like a Marshall ........so it's versatile "within the Marshall spectrum of sound" if you get what I mean.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                            I want an amp that allows me to cover any song.
                            I want 5 amps instead

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                              What do you look for in an amp more? Versatility or a strong/unique character to their sound? I've always been the kind of guy who prefers AC/DC. Motorhead, Maiden etc to bands that change form album to album as far as my taste in music goes & the same thing extends to my preference in amps..I much prefer the way a Recto sounds to a Mark, a JCM 800 to a JVM , An Orange to well anything else out there etc...

I was listening to demo's of other modern hi gain amps and thinking that while they're all supposedly brutal, (I often don't hear it tbh) what they lack is individuality & I honestly doubt anyone could "pick out the amp' in a blind test with other similar amps, ;cause of the facelessness of their sound & their lack of any charecteristics that set them apart from the next "flavour of the month amp". But they all claim to be "versatile". So is versatility just another word for facelessness?

Just wondering what others think?
                              I also forgot to mention the Vox AC 30. Not a high gain amp, but certainly one with a beauriful crunch when maxed. It does more than just clean jangle. And yes, Orange amps are very unique too. Such a huge midrange.

Comment

Working...
                              X