E34L vs (E34ii or KT77 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E34L vs (E34ii or KT77 )

The pick ups are either Fullshred, Custom, or Becker’s Perpetual burn. Amps are Laney’s AOR and GH50L. Pre-Amps are at 9 o’clock or more, I try to avoid using boosts, for lead breaks I just step off my attenuator :-). Tight punchy palm mutes midrange screaming pick harmonics, pick dynamics and tracking are major targets. Have E34Ls JJs, like them but it’s been 17 years want to see if they some other flavors out there.
    Active Duty Rig:
    MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
    Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Might consider 6CA7s, based on the goals/description.

Comment

If you do go for 6CA7's, I think EHX sound more like actual 6CA7's than JJ's, personally.

Either way, Tung Sol EL34B's are also nice.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Might consider 6CA7s, based on the goals/description.
        Are they closer to 6L6 than EL34 ?
        Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
          Are they closer to 6L6 than EL34 ?
          It might be fair to say they're closer to 6L6 than EL34s, but to me they are their own thing a bit. 6CA7s are what was in EVH's holy grail Marshall head from the U.K. They were also stock in Traynor YBA amps in the 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            If you do go for 6CA7's, I think EHX sound more like actual 6CA7's than JJ's, personally.

Either way, Tung Sol EL34B's are also nice.
            I have a JJ's 6CA7 in this Picovalve. It's lasted for years and I think that it sounds great.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

It might be fair to say they're closer to 6L6 than EL34s, but to me they are their own thing a bit. 6CA7s are what was in EVH's holy grail Marshall head from the U.K. They were also stock in Traynor YBA amps in the 70's.

https://humbuckersoup.com/el34-vs-6c...0vacuum%20tube.

6CA7 & EL-34 are the same tube although one could argue the originals were one is a pentode and one a tetrode.
              6CA7 = American designation, EL-34 = Euro.
              The Sylvania 6CA7 of old VH days stopped production 40+ yrs ago.
              The EH 6CA& is likely more like a Sovtek 6L6 than anything British or American.
              An original quad of Amperex EL-34's are going for over $1500 in some cases.
              Only tube makers now are the Slovaks with their problematic JJ's & Mike Matthews in Saratov.
              There are no secrets to good tubes, educate yourselves and stay away from the bling.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Only tube makers now are the Slovaks with their problematic JJ's & Mike Matthews in Saratov.
                Nah, the EH is its own thing. Supposedly based on the Sylvanias. How much that's true, I don't know, but if you look at it, it doesn't look like any of the 6L6's NS puts out. It's the JJ that's a 6L6 adapted to fit an EL34 socket electrically.

Obviously, the EH's are not the real deal, but I mean, good enough for most people who are not putting them in 60's/70's Plexis, IMO.

And there are the Chinese Psvanes as well, as well as some other smaller manufacturers in China like the guys who make the Northern Electric stuff. It wasn't only Shuguang pumping out tubes from China.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-16-2023, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  I have a JJ's 6CA7 in this Picovalve. It's lasted for years and I think that it sounds great.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                  All good, man. But it is not a "traditional" 6CA7 design. That's what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

https://humbuckersoup.com/el34-vs-6c...0vacuum%20tube.

6CA7 & EL-34 are the same tube although one could argue the originals were one is a pentode and one a tetrode.
                    6CA7 = American designation, EL-34 = Euro.
                    The Sylvania 6CA7 of old VH days stopped production 40+ yrs ago.
                    An original quad of Amperex EL-34's are going for over $1500 in some cases.
                    There are no secrets to good tubes, educate yourselves and stay away from the bling.
                    So, that means there only two factories on the planet left? Not sure if Saratov factory is sanctioned or not, but I will not be buying from that factory. So just JJs, EHX is same JJs i suppose?

Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

So, that means there only two factories on the planet left? Not sure if Saratov factory is sanctioned or not, but I will not be buying from that factory. So just JJs, EHX is same JJs i suppose?
                      No, there's a couple smaller ones in China as well. The major Chinese factory burned down. But Psvane is still around.

And no, JJ is only JJ. EHX is Russian. EHX, Tung Sol, Mullard, Gold Lion, Svetlana, Sovtek all come from the same Russian factory. That factory is American-owned, though.

Comment

No, there's a couple smaller ones in China as well. The major Chinese factory burned down. But Psvane is still around.

And no, JJ is only JJ. EHX is Russian. EHX, Tung Sol, Mullard, Gold Lion, Svetlana, Sovtek all come from the same Russian factory. That factory is American-owned, though.
                        would you say there is zero difference between JJ EL34 and JJ 6CA7 ?

Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

would you say there is zero difference between JJ EL34 and JJ 6CA7 ?

No. They are different designs. I was just saying their 6CA7 is actually a 6L6 design adapted to work on EL34 amps. But their E34L's, EL34II's, 6CA7's, and KT77's all sound different.

But like I said in the other thread, I just don't trust JJ power tubes' reliability. I know a lot of people have good experiences experience with them. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but ALL of the JJ sets of power tubes I've had have failed.

Some of their tubes are actually good-sounding. I've just had terrible experiences with their power tubes. But if I had a 6V6 amp, I'd be willing to take the risk with their 6V6's because they sound great. But I actually remember reading that really isn't a true 6V6, just another tube type's design adapted for 6V6 amps, LOL. So they kinda do that a lot.
                          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-16-2023, 07:20 PM.

Comment

No. They are different designs. I was just saying their 6CA7 is actually a 6L6 design adapted to work on EL34 amps. But their E34L's, EL34II's, 6CA7's, and KT77's all sound different.

But like I said in the other thread, I just don't trust JJ power tubes' reliability. I know a lot of people have good experiences experience with them. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but ALL of the JJ sets of power tubes I've had have failed.

Some of their tubes are actually good-sounding. I've just had terrible experiences with their power tubes. But if I had a 6V6 amp, I'd be willing to take the risk with their 6V6's because they sound great.
                            I see, would you say there would be a significant difference between JJ’s 6CA7 vs 6L6s ?
                            Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

I see, would you say there would be a significant difference between JJ’s 6CA7 vs 6L6s ?
                              Never compared them side by side, but I bet they do sound different as well. They adapted the design, but there's plenty of stuff they have to modify to make it work. The impedance for both tube types is different, I believe, and I'm sure that would make a difference. Same as the voltage? But that's getting beyond my understanding of tubes, TBH.

The only real thing I was implying is that the JJ 6CA7 is not really a "true" 6CA7 design. But I guess rather than "true", you could use the word "traditional". So if you want the 6CA7 sound, you're better off with the EH if you don't want to spend the money on NOS Sylvanias. Those things are EXPENSIVE because that's what EVH used. At least, that's what I immediately think when I hear 6CA7.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-16-2023, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X