Rectifier Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

I think their modded Metal Zones are basically castrated of their gain stages, so they are more of a clean-boost+para-EQ.
    The Metal Zone never gets clean at all. Not unlike a Tube Screamer, except even less clean, LOL. I don't know how they set the level, though. But a Metal Zone does not have all that much output level to begin with, IME. But yeah, the EQ functions and power certainly makes them work as boosts.

I think they're using something else now. Like Maxon something. Some variant of a Tube Screamer.

*EDIT* Ohhhh, but they're modded? Didn't know that.

Comment

Interesting. People discussing Metalzones without disparaging them.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
        It's less about tuning and more about tension IMO. Looser strings have more perceived gain. Tighter strings need more boost/amp gain to have an equal level of perceived gain.
        Its about the gauge of string. A larger string moving through the magnetic field creates more voltage. In the same way that moving the pickup closer to the string does. Or a thick wound bass string does.

Lower tunings typically have thicker strings to maintain a certain level of tension.

If the tuning feels "loose" it is a side effect of string gauge and tension. A downtuned guitar with thick strings may still feel "loose" but can create more output.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
          Its about the gauge of string. A larger string moving through the magnetic field creates more voltage. In the same way that moving the pickup closer to the string does. Or a thick wound bass string does.

Lower tunings typically have thicker strings to maintain a certain level of tension.

If the tuning feels "loose" it is a side effect of string gauge and tension. A downtuned guitar with thick strings may still feel "loose" but can create more output.

Perceived gain does not equal output. Looser strings have a more relaxed spongy feel. They allow for more movement as in a larger vibration-loop, which is also a factor in output voltage.

I agree larger and tighter strings are louder and have more actual output, but tighter tension creates a punchier less "even" response.

Compare a set of 42s with a set of 52, both at E standard,,,,,and I guarantee the 42s will "feel" like your amp is more saturated.
          The 52s will be loud and punchier, but feel "stiff" to play by comparison. The amp will feel less saturated than with the 42s and you will turn it's gain up to compensate.

Comment

It also has to do with the string composition. Some materials react more strongly to magnetic fields. I used to use EB Cobalts and they punched above their gauge.

Comment

Anytime I've ever gone down in gauge size at the exact same tuning it always makes the amp feel more saturated, not less. Going to stiffer strings makes it feel less saturated.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                It also has to do with the string composition. Some materials react more strongly to magnetic fields. I used to use EB Cobalts and they punched above their gauge.

I will have to check them out and see what they do. Thanks.

Comment

I will have to check them out and see what they do. Thanks.
                  Also try Dunlop Heavy Core. They use a thicker core wire on the wound strings.
                  The 10ga set had an .48 E string. Normal EB Hybrid 10ga set has a .52 E.
                  But even though it's slightly thinner, it seems to hit harder.

Comment

Interesting. People discussing Metalzones without disparaging them.

Well, there can't be a Recto thread without mentioning Cannibal Corpse boosting theirs with an MT-2, LOL.

Also, the Slaughter of the Soul tone was an HM-2 boosting an MT-2 through a SS Peavey through a home-made cab with 2 10" speakers and 2 12" speakers, LOL. And that tone DESTROYS.
                    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-03-2023, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      Well, if you're going for a Rammstein tone, you certainly don't need a boost. But Rammstein don't play all that fast or technical. So I'd be curioust to hear how that works for thrash.
                      I do though. I wasn’t even going for their tone, it’s just a great example of a straight recto sound. Richard uses a blackplate Rev C if I’m not mistaken. It’s definitely not boomy, muddy or fizzy.

Hahaha, I wonder if that means my old joke about “signature distortion strings” could become reality by these means.
                      Last edited by El Dunco; 04-03-2023, 07:17 PM.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I've never used a boost on any of my amps. I've never seen the need for it, and I personally care for the straight up sound of the amp.

Comment

I've always wanted to try the Cobalts, but I read they're harder on the frets than steel. And even with my nickel-plated strings, I tend to indent the frets because I play so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                            I've never used a boost on any of my amps. I've never seen the need for it, and I personally care for the straight up sound of the amp.
                            You sir, are speaking my language.
                            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                              I have never not boosted my amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I have never not boosted my amp.
                                Which is just as valid. I sincerely hope people aren’t glossing over the many, crystal clear disclaimers and missing my point. Boost, don’t boost. It’s all valid (I literally have a custom built overdrive to my exact wants, it’s not like I never boost anything or I’m somr pedal nazi!) but that’s the point. For people to dissuade others for trying things their way and figuring out their own sounds.

If they were only suggestions, I wouldn’t have said anything. I draw the line at words like “have to” and “can’t,” like there are rules!

Comment

Working...
                                X