banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to use 1x12 extension cab with Roland Cube 60…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to use 1x12 extension cab with Roland Cube 60…

Hello,

I’m interested in using a 1x12 extension cab with my Roland Cube 60. Having said that, I know the cube has an 8ohm extension cab jack but I read that the combo speaker will also be active when using the extension cab jack which I don’t want (not to mention that there would also be a mismatch of impedance at 4ohms). In conclusion, is it true that I can plug a 1x12 extension cab into the Cube 60’s lineout jack to run just the 1x12 extension cab alone? I have read this and wanted to confirm. Thanks.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

No this will not work. LINE OUT is for line-level recording or to go direct to the board. It is not a powered output. You will not be able to bypass the stock speaker without opening up the amp and doing some very minor mods.

Comment

Could you go from the line out jack into a poweramp into a speaker?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Could you go from the line out jack into a poweramp into a speaker?
        yeah, or into a little preamp/amp combo like a quilter
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          No this will not work. LINE OUT is for line-level recording or to go direct to the board. It is not a powered output. You will not be able to bypass the stock speaker without opening up the amp and doing some very minor mods.

What, like a a switch to disable the onboard speaker?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            What, like a a switch to disable the onboard speaker?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
            Yeah, he could add a switch to disable the combo speaker pretty easily.

Comment

Yeah, he could add a switch to disable the combo speaker pretty easily.
              Thanks. I have reached out to a local company in regards to this modification. Will let you guys know what they say.
              Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
              Roland Cube 60
              Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
              BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
              LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
              Mogami Cables
              Mooer Candy Toppers
              Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
              Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post

Thanks. I have reached out to a local company in regards to this modification. Will let you guys know what they say.
                I’d love to hear the results.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post

My only consideration, and I might be wrong, is that putting a switch to disconnect the internal speaker might not be enough. If you plug into the EXT speaker and disconnect the main speaker, the amp might still be looking for a load from the main speaker. I would probably go with a switch and an additional AUX jack in the back coming off the main speaker terminals to switch from the speaker to the new additional AUX jack. Like I said I could be wrong, I am not familiar with the power routing of a Cube 60, but if I were to do this mod this is the route I would go.

Comment

My only consideration, and I might be wrong, is that putting a switch to disconnect the internal speaker might not be enough. If you plug into the EXT speaker and disconnect the main speaker, the amp might still be looking for a load from the main speaker. I would probably go with a switch and an additional AUX jack in the back coming off the main speaker terminals to switch from the speaker to the new additional AUX jack. Like I said I could be wrong, I am not familiar with the power routing of a Cube 60, but if I were to do this mod this is the route I would go.
                    How about a 3-way for internal speaker, both that and aux in the middle and aux only? I did a similar mod to a Crate V30 in 2005-6
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

You can just add a jack that will disconnect the internal speaker when you plug another cab in. I did this to my combo, only did it the opposite. (External amp to internal speaker.) You'll need to drill a hole for the jack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp_Jack.png
Views:	217
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	6228916

Comment

Nice ArtieToo much cleaner and functional

Comment

Working...
                        X